Hunting 2014

. If it weren't for a little civil disobedience, it wouldn't be safe to go outside.
?

I didn't know you had polar bear or Grizzly down in Florida.
You are not telling me that you are scared of black bear, are you?

I came face to face with a sow with cubs here in town one day and I believe that encounter could've went either way. I don't believe a kid would have been as fortunate. I used a piece of steel pipe to keep one out of my yard a few years ago when my children were small (Where's that pistol when you need it). One ripped my chain link fence gate off a few months ago. I couldn't tell you the cars and houses they've broken into. Personally, I've had a lot more close calls on the road and had a buddy who was hit by one on his motorcycle. He had come to a rolling stop and the bear came running out and broadsided him, breaking his leg. The cops didn't even cite the bear! Scared of them Stig? No, even though some of these four-footed garbage scowls are well over 500 pounds but did I mention the fact that I hate them?
;)

There have only been 14 people injured by bears in Florida since they started keeping track of such occurances in 1976.
The yearly number of traffic related fatalities in Florida is around 2500.
You should be hating cars instead.

That too! Seriously though, Cars don't scatter other people's garbage across my property several times a week. Here's one of the locals. This one's got a tag in both ears. He's been trapped twice previously for being a bad boy and transported here before being released.
185.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few things. No, there is not a more efficient way to control feral hogs. Corralling them is extremely difficult, time consuming, and they become incredibly wise to it. There is yet to be a more effective way then spraying them with lead from above. Like it or not, that's reality, and that's the best line of defense for an ecosystem that a feral hog has made it way into. Poisoning them? Great solution. You'll wipe em out for sure. And half the wildlife in that Same ecosystem. Hard to ask a hog to eat the poisoned feed corn but not the raccoons and deer.

It is a war. And much like war, we don't corral folks into pens and kindly euthanize them. Bullets, and tons of them, and if it a a vitals shot, super, if it isn't, its still progress. Sorry to be the voice of science on this one. But ecosystems dont have a future if led by emotional people. Think of forest management, and think of putting a tree hugger in charge of it.

Practical is a different thing from emotional, though. Reading up on it, particularly dealing with the same problem in Australia, hunting from both the ground and the sky does not seem to be an end all to very effective eradication. Hog populations can get reduced to the point where the lesser numbers will stop bringing in hunters, at which point if there is still a certain number of remaining hogs, the population will soon return to large numbers. The site here says that aerial shooting is not an effective method to achieve adequate reduction, unless used as part of an overall program that also employs other control methods. Perhaps that only applies to the problem in Australia. It also says that aerial hunting can also disperse pigs a long distance from where their original territory was, is that a good idea? I think it might be a fair question to ask if the aerial hunting is really the answer to the situation as some people might claim. All in all it seems like a pretty complex situation that requires a long term varied approach, if you want to deal with the animals in a way that is really going to put a serious dent in the problem.

http://wiki.bdtnrm.org.au/images/5/5d/Shooting_Hunting_of_Feral_Pigs.pdf

Excellent post, jay, and cool link, thx!

And can I get a hey hey for the hogs. No disputing they can be extremely destructive, and we gotta figure a way to control them, just saying they are formidable beasts which makes them admirable as a creature- tough, powerful, wary, adaptable, intelligent, resilient. A cool creature, but out of control in many areas.

All Californians are like Stephen and Gerry et all THers?? News to me...

Oh, I forgot also, big assed tusks, and they love mud. Cool creatures!!8)

Whoa, did anybody check out that pic of the Australian quad atv from Jay's link? A serious pig hunting rig, very cool.

Excellent post, jay, and cool link, thx!

And can I get a hey hey for the hogs. No disputing they can be extremely destructive, and we gotta figure a way to control them, just saying they are formidable beasts which makes them admirable as a creature- tough, powerful, wary, adaptable, intelligent, resilient. A cool creature, but out of control in many areas.

They are all the above Cory. In my mind, a great game animal and great eating. They are now legal to shoot year-round on private land here in Florida, day or night. I've not hunted them at night... yet.

Feral pig distribution in 1988 and 2009.

Attachments

• 1988-distribution-wild-pigs.gif
    1988-distribution-wild-pigs.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2009-distribution-wild-pigs.gif
    2009-distribution-wild-pigs.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 27
Practical is a different thing from emotional, though. Reading up on it, particularly dealing with the same problem in Australia, hunting from both the ground and the sky does not seem to be an end all to very effective eradication. Hog populations can get reduced to the point where the lesser numbers will stop bringing in hunters, at which point if there is still a certain number of remaining hogs, the population will soon return to large numbers. The site here says that aerial shooting is not an effective method to achieve adequate reduction, unless used as part of an overall program that also employs other control methods. Perhaps that only applies to the problem in Australia. It also says that aerial hunting can also disperse pigs a long distance from where their original territory was, is that a good idea? I think it might be a fair question to ask if the aerial hunting is really the answer to the situation as some people might claim. All in all it seems like a pretty complex situation that requires a long term varied approach, if you want to deal with the animals in a way that is really going to put a serious dent in the problem.

http://wiki.bdtnrm.org.au/images/5/5d/Shooting_Hunting_of_Feral_Pigs.pdf
With all due respect, what you found on the net in response to the facts I've provided doesn't mean it's a solid counter weight. Australia is not Texas or PA. Wikipedia is also garbage in many cases. I respect your opinions, but as someone once said, "listen to hear, not to respond". Hunters in the uS are not drawn to feral hog hunting. That's Wikipedia trash. The Eurasian boars in fenced preserves are money makers. Glorified farm pigs that have a high risk of disease(feral hogs) don't draw a crowd of eager sportsmen. They are an eradication effort here, not a game species that is being robbed by helicopter hunters.

Jay, bad info. Cory, validate This info before each round of applause bud. In 09, PA was in turmoil over these feral hogs. If I'm arguing with constant google searches, ill take this opportunity to bow out now. Anyone who has personally stepped foot into turf where feral hogs have come through over night, would probably be better suited to put their feet down on the matter of how to handle them.

How is the australia info at odds with your experience in Pa?

Back