How'd it go today?

I hate sap. We ALL hate sap!!!

Yes, but at least most of you don't have hair long enough for it to be a REAL problem. I've spent 2 days trying to get Mugho and white sap out of my hair - and that's in spite of wearing PPE with a bandanna. Most folks think of Mughos as dwarfs - do not be fooled. I have a client whose 40 year old Mughos have never been pruned (until me) and they are 25' multi-trunked evil monsters. And they POUR sap when cut.

Dismantled a few oaks this AM, nothing serious, felled the trunks onto the brash and walked away (landscaper's job, he'll clear it up) Went home, tea and biscuits, succumbed to drowsiness, slept on sofa. Tea. Now off out to finalise the specs for an American (from Georgia, who got upset when I guessed at Texas)

Yes, but at least most of you don't have hair long enough for it to be a REAL problem. I've spent 2 days trying to get Mugho and white sap out of my hair - and that's in spite of wearing PPE with a bandanna. Most folks think of Mughos as dwarfs - do not be fooled. I have a client whose 40 year old Mughos have never been pruned (until me) and they are 25' multi-trunked evil monsters. And they POUR sap when cut.

Labour of Love! Good to read you again! Hope life is treating you good!

Getting ready this morning to go cut a tree down and I'm touched by how unimportant that is compared to this. My little one year-old, still in diapers, already practicing to be a mom.
e9u7y9yv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More important top come home from the trees to this....
My kids remind me every day what my priorities are. My little girl's smile when I bought her a copy of Frozen for her to watch and own made my day yesterday..
Levi having a theological debate with my cousin at Grandmas... (it started with my cousin Bob and a Christian song he wrote that starts with stuff from Genesis, then a verse starts about Jesus. Levi reminded him that Jesus is NOT in Genesis :lol: ) A bible came out and they went back and forth for almost 2 hours... :lol:
Seth and his first Boy Scout Summer Camp.....

These are what is all about :)
Not why I work... but why I need to come home from work every day :)

More important top come home from the trees to this....
My kids remind me every day what my priorities are. My little girl's smile when I bought her a copy of Frozen for her to watch and own made my day yesterday..
Levi having a theological debate with my cousin at Grandmas... (it started with my cousin Bob and a Christian song he wrote that starts with stuff from Genesis, then a verse starts about Jesus. Levi reminded him that Jesus is NOT in Genesis :lol: ) A bible came out and they went back and forth for almost 2 hours... :lol:
Seth and his first Boy Scout Summer Camp.....

These are what is all about :)
Not why I work... but why I need to come home from work every day :)

Great inspirational stuff, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good discussion re rain work. I'm kinda with Butch, not a fan of working in the rain, so hard to get much done compared to dry days. And yeah, Reg's wind firming job in hard rain sounds nuts to me, more power to you, Reg, hard core. Reg, are the wind firmed trees going to be cut eventually for timber or are the aesthetic trees? Either way, I guess spurring all over them is not a big deal, eh?

Reg I'm guessing your big Katanaboy hand saw plays a big role wind firming in the rain, a small chainsaw is going to say "no mas" after working in heavy rain for a bit, afaik.

You ever notice how, after working for a long time in heavy rains, even though while working things were going more or less normally, you are extra exhausted later??:/:

Air cleaners get wet/soaked, then saw gets boggy/doggy, ime.

Ahhh. Yah if the trend is wet I run the 'winter' filters no paper/cloth. They're just a nylon mesh, don't filter as well but let a lot more air in.

Warm rain or cold rain makes a difference, I find. The rainy season in the warmer months isn't so bad, except some major downpours along with lightning. :O A no sleeve tee shirt seems to fit the warmer and more gentle rains.

Stihl saws often fought me in a hard rain. My husqvarnas haven't, yet. Knock on wood. I don't often work in a down pour. That's usually limited to emergency work.

The winter filters were my solution on the coast, and have a few of them if it was torrential, like it was at times. In the interior here the weather is much milder, the downpours that we get are nothing, all my saws don't give me any grief in any of the rains we get here.

Back