How'd it go today?

Trimmed pear trees all day today. Had to break out the 16ft. A FRAME ladders and do some climbing. No access for bucket. Property i've been working on for 5 yrs now

+1

I tell people a chainsaw is the second most dangerous tool. A ladder is the First! ;)

We took a couple of days off from storm clearing, to finish another project that we had to abandon after the storm hit.
Felling rows of larch trees for chipping.
The area was planted with beech and larch, 3 rows of beech to 1 of larch. The larch acts as nurse trees, then after 10-15 years are removed.

I'm posting this just to brag about how we are up on the latest, cutting edge, tecniques in tree falling.

Since we have one guy cutting and one guy pushing them over with a pointed pole, we fell them NOTCHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:O

Rain, rain, more rain...26th anniversary yesterday, went to the city and spent too much money. 8)

Was it fun?? What do you do with your regular groundie?

Very tired at the end of the day today, nearly rigged down a good sized piece of wood with my lanyard still on it. Thankfully an astute groundman spotted it just as I started making my cut. Yikes. It probably wouldn't have been a major incident, but just knowing that I could make that mistake...Makes me feel like I should find another profession.

Everyone please be vigilant out there!

Maybe other stuff on your mind, Leon? Glad it was just a scare. Stay focused brother! Possibly some ritual in the morning to help with that if need be.

Can happen to about anyone Leon.. Kudos to your ground person that caught it..

Yes, well done him! this week I looked at my knots just before a branch walk at 70odd foot and realized my bowline knot on my life line had come undone, was hanging on a half hitch, got down and realised I had put my biner through the wrong loop on the bowline in a hurry, will work it loose after a bit.

Speaking of vigilance, the other day we were tipping a fat fir spar into a bit of a tight lay. The stump was on the top of a 10 ft slope that led to a neighbours fence and a telephone pole, so we took the step of getting the rigging ready to hold the spar to the stump. Then we made a round of bets for coffees as to how far out the spar would land. Face cut, back cut, tree nails the landing, puller rejoices (momentarily) due to being the winner of free coffee, and then we all groan as we realize that we failed to do the clevis on the straps holding the spar to stump. It rolls down the hill, completely missing the fence, but smacking into the pole with authority. Luckily, no one of the neighbours were out watching, and there was no damage to the pole. Just a bunch of bruised egos. There were 3 of us eyeballing that scenario and all of us failed to remember to do up the damn sling, its not like we didn't anticipate it. Just got distracted/cocky.

On a lighter note, the work is still coming in thick, we're definitely booked into January at the moment. But, lordy I can't wait to take it easy over the holidays. This week has been lighter as I've had some maintenance work to do on my truck and have been plodding along getting my business plan together, but we're going to push for the next month till xmas starting Monday. Thankfully, there is really only 8 hrs of daylight at the moment, so the body won't be too brutalised!

A little nippy up here, but I feel its time to have a seat in a warm watering hole and prepare for a weekend of solo parenting as my wife enjoys a bonspiel.

Back