How'd it go today?

I'm polite and reasonable but also good at reading people over the phone. I let em know I'm not a point and cut tree service. Helps to weed out some of the unreasonables.

Went and ground three large sumps today, from trees that the owners felled themselves.
Pouring rain and high winds, what fun.

It helped when the client asked if we could settle without a bill.
Adding to our " going to California fund" is my favourite thing right now:D

Now I'll be off for my weekly German lesson. I spent last evening doing written exercises.
Be nice to get the last few bugs out of my grammar.

I screwed up today.....rather badly.
We were removing some strom damaged, slightly uprooted beech trees by a house in the forest.
Windy day it was. I went to fall one next to the house. Richard suggested we save it for a calmer day, since we had no possibility of pulling it without getting a skidder out.
I figured it had enough lean to counter the wind.....................wrong!.
A gust broke the hinge, the tree went directly towards the house, glanced off anothet tree and missed the house by maybe 4 feet, blowing the connection/fuse box outside the house to pieces and taking out the power of the nearest 3 houses.

When we went home at the end of the day, the power station crew were still working on setting up a new box.
Be a long time before I live this one down.

Did I learn anything?

Well, like Richard himself put it: " Sometimes even an African can be right!!"

ha.

I lost a spruce to side lean, recently. I cut it shoulder high, as I figured it would be okay if I shortened it up a bit. 10-15% diameter hinge ripped, missed the house by enough, JUST enough. Would have only been small wood, not a flimsy top, as it had already lost the original leader.

Bummer Stig. No one injured though besides your pride a little. Still a good day if everyone goes home in one piece.

Pruned a gorgeous big silver maple today. Hoarded one lane of a side residential road when we first showed up and were figuring out how to work it. Traffic was light no issue. Third vehicle that comes along stops instead of driving right through. Calls my employee over and tells him to move the truck. G tells him not to worry about it it would be moved shortly. To which the fella replies 'move it or else'. G says 'or else what'. Then the guy whipped a rotten banana at him and peeled off.

WTF?

Some people are out there. We nicknamed him banana boy. G told me to keep an eye out for him. I said I was as I was hoping for a couple more so I could make a loaf. Lol.

Felling some Pops 5 years ago, got one wrong, went sideways took out a major power cable, whole village was blacked out.
I don't count the stuff I did in the early days, bosses fault for sending on jobs I wasn't experienced enough for:D

The hardwood floor man came today .I'll be glad when that job is done,furniture piled up like it's a warehouse .My freakin heavy computor desk was about like moving a piano .

Also torched off my slash pile 500 square feet of carpet and all .Not too much smoke,I was surprised .

Back pain bad today. left me crippled. Doc gave me Valium to relax the mind and in turn, relax the muscles. Myback feels good. My mind is mashed potatoes. Peace. Ill be back tomorrow.

Just woke up with the computer still open on my lap..... This is bananas. No valium before work. No no no. I'll be zonkin out in the tree like James. Probably using a saw like James too. I understand James much better now.

Put some earplugs in and listen to some Grateful Dead, You'll have a grand ol' time in the trees.
Seriously, take care of yourself, Chris. Better to stay home a day than getting injured/killed.

I worked this morning. When I woke up, the valium had worn off. Did wonders for my back.

Im uneasy though. The phone got quite not long ago and we worked through our backlog of work. Im nearly dead in the water. Its WAY too soon for this. I expected this in a month, naturally. Mid November sends chills up my spine though. I might make a fast maneuver and mostly shut the business down for the winter and go work as a logger until March. I can handle the typical winter downtime financially, but if things are tanking out this early, Im not prepared for that. I figure I might be wise to get Plan B rolling before its too late. Winter in my area is no joke. Work STOPS for months. Its not a slow season, its a dead season.

Sounds serious, Chris.
Would it be easy for you to pick up a logging job?

Yes. The loggers will be eager to produce hard once the ground freezes, as you well know. I can run cable and grapple skidder pretty well and I kept my reputation good back when I worked for a high production logging company in the area.

Go for it, then.
Logging is fun:D

We did a horrible residential job today. A candelabra pollarding of 3 sycamores.
Turned out the trees were between two different housing communities that were unable to reach an agreement on what should be done to the trees.
So we had people yell at us all day long. Someone reported us to the county, the housing community council and the police, so we had visits from all of them.
One 50 ish woman got so verbally abusive that I lost my temper and toild her to get her fat ass back into her car so I could do my job.

After a day like that I miss the logging in the woods.

One nice thing. The most adamant " don't touch those trees you vandals" type came up to me as we were packing up and said that he would never have thought we could make them look so nice.
Basically asked us to excuse his ignorance and praising us for doing a fine job.
After a day of abuse, that warmed a bit:)

I had a job reducing a lime in a churchyard once, during the climb the vicar was out moaning that we were taking too much off blah blah blah. Afterwards he came up to say he was wrong and the tree looked great. I was able to say to him,
"There is more rejoicing in heaven for one sinner who repents than over 99 etc." (couldn't remember the rest)
he liked that!

DSC03489.JPG DSC03491.JPG DSC03493.JPG DSC03495.JPG

Spruce was not getting along with the roof. The top blew out of this tree a few years ago, not sure why, but it gave it a neat looking top once the nearest limbs took over the vertical. like a big wishbone.

Have a good weekend guys 8)

Back