How'd it go today?

Since I was on an old account today, as I previously mentioned in the pics thread, I took it upon myself to see how the trees were doing since I was last there. One of three I had recommended for removal was still there. The old man that lived there before passing on had this one and another topped over and over again. I was hired to fell one leaning toward the house and the one that had been topped next to the car port topped and left until it could be arranged by the HO to have a service drop for removal. They ran out of money and the son eventually did the deed on the carport tree. SO I get to do this little 1/2 dead gem with the Bart Simpson doos because the NEW owner (one of my first clients) has the Cents and sense :D Just got the call tonight after I e mailed him :) I love the chipper access :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2
City wide garage sale day, it was mess here in town!
Went to a birthday party for a six year old, it was OK until they all started chatting away in Vietnamese! Something about the way they speak, the pitch or something, just makes my head hurt after a while!
Went to Menards grand opening, wrong answer! Wall to wall people, got what we needed and got out of there, but even that took an hour and a half!

trimmed a camphor tree, a laurel oak, 2 palms and 2 live oaks. 4 jobs, easy day.

Ahh, I forgot about your wife. I almost married a Filipino, myself. Always wondered how things woulda been different.

I went to the Josh Turner concert in Stockton last night and had a nice visit with my nephew. Went and dumped the truck this morning and then came over to my Uncle's in Pebble Beach as his kid is out from Alabama to do some preaching at church tomorrow.

Really odd day.
I was helping a neighbor work on a back overhang on a patio he wants to eventually enclose. He didn't believe me when I showed him the pitch (2x12) and when I told him would have to be roll roofed. He calls his roofer, I'm good with this.
His roofer gets there and he and I cuss and discuss the fact of roll roofing, he says he can shingle it, I say he can't per code. He calls his boss, I'm right :lol:
Pretty decent guy and he hung out while we decked it and trimmed it out. Yadda, yadda.
Anyways, end of the day, he pulls me off to the side. "Andy, call me tomorrow, you've got a job. You know more about roofing and the codes better than I do! I've been looking all over for someone like you and can't find them!"
Dude is going to train me and offered a NICE pay check, just to do estimates and make sure the crews are doing what they are supposed to. No hammer, no lifting, measure the roof and diagram it out, meet with ins. adjusters, make people happy.
What the hell do I have to lose? I told him as soon as my truck is out of the shop, I'm there!

Really odd day.
I was helping a neighbor work on a back overhang on a patio he wants to eventually enclose. He didn't believe me when I showed him the pitch (2x12) and when I told him would have to be roll roofed. He calls his roofer, I'm good with this.
His roofer gets there and he and I cuss and discuss the fact of roll roofing, he says he can shingle it, I say he can't per code. He calls his boss, I'm right :lol:
Pretty decent guy and he hung out while we decked it and trimmed it out. Yadda, yadda.
Anyways, end of the day, he pulls me off to the side. "Andy, call me tomorrow, you've got a job. You know more about roofing and the codes better than I do! I've been looking all over for someone like you and can't find them!"
Dude is going to train me and offered a NICE pay check, just to do estimates and make sure the crews are doing what they are supposed to. No hammer, no lifting, measure the roof and diagram it out, meet with ins. adjusters, make people happy.
What the hell do I have to lose? I told him as soon as my truck is out of the shop, I'm there!

Score, I love it when jobs just fall right out of the sky.

Ahh, I forgot about your wife. I almost married a Filipino, myself. Always wondered how things woulda been different.

Good likelihood that a certain percentage of your wages would be earmarked to help support her family in the Phillipines. I know two guys here who married considerably younger than themselves Philippine women, and they both complained about always having to always cough it up for back home, even when business was bad. Apparently it is a part of the deal.

I know with one of the guys it was kind of a brokered arrangement, he was fifty something and she was in here twenties. After they met over there and were wed, he was back here and she was still there waiting for her visa documentation to go through to join him. Since he couldn't speak Filipino or English, and she couldn't speak Japanese, I used to call her up for him and be the translator. It was fun, "What else do you want me to say to her besides I love you?" She was a real nice girl, the old fashioned sweet from a poor background. I started to like her myself. 8)

Unfortunately the marriage didn't make it, too many cultural differences.

That's the beauty of this Stephen, the heaviest I have to do it moving a ladder around, any more than that and I am guaranteed a grunt or a crew! Full benies, 401K the whole thing, he said "What do you have to lose? I'll throw some money at you and if it doesn't work for you, we part as friends?"
Right now about anything to get off this damn couch and get out of the house sounds good to me, then to get paid on top of it, hell that's just a double bonus!

That's super great fortune for you, Andy. I wish I could do the same thing for tree crews; just go out and look for stuff being done wrong and correct/document it. A Safety Man, of sorts.

That would be a nice gig Butch! Contract with companies to do onsite surprise inspections before they get busted by OSHA!

I looked at a big ole willer (willow) that can just be bombed. I was thinking about just pulling it over but I think I would need a dozer. And I need a new water pump, not just a gasket like I had hoped, for my chipper good times.

Back