How'd it go today?

Spent the day in the shop working on the barn, listening to the snow shifting about every once in a while. Then it all let loose on the south side. If I didn't know it was the snow, I'd have thought the barn had been hit be a plane. I keep the mill about 30 feet from the building for this reason, but there was so much, and it was so slushy, it shot across the yard and injected itself into the mill, where I'm guessing it is freezing as we speak.

There's almost three feet of snow there, and it was just plowed off. Glad I wasn't under it.:O

avalanch.jpg

Wow, that's most certainly not a problem around here. If I lived in a place with snow, I'd want my roof to have a super steep pitch - but, you don't really seem to see that much.

I had a quick little job this morning at a hospital. I had to cut down 4 trees for a construction company where they are going to be doing some remodeling. I was able to throw a couple good size tops into the 50' working area after taking weight off the back sides. They had me leave the trunks about 10'-12' tall so they could dig the root balls out with the backhoe. Made a half day's pay in an hour and fifteen minutes. :D

When its fresh it still doesn't run right off a steep roof.
images

Good deal on getting to work, Brian. I'm headed to the Ford dealer to get my computer adjusted to recognize the trailer brake controller, maybe I'll return to the force next week. :lol:

Maybe a subwoofer / low frequency transducer in the attic? You'd crank it up until it slid off?

Steep has still gotta be better than flat.

It is, for high snow fall areas. Otherwise its nice if it can melt off otherwise you end up with huge mounds of snow under every eave that stays a long time

Attics are vented and have massive volume, the power requirements for the woofer would be huge. Also the ceiling could be damaged by the air pressure, at the least it would rain dust below. :lol:

Design the roof to take the load and all is well.

They put catchers on the bottom of metal roofs around here to prevent ice from sliding off and killing people. They do have a snow catcher, but I don't see many of those. Snow catchers are a continuous barrier across the bottom, ice catchers are small blocks.

Everyone roofs are leaking like crazy right now here. Gutters full/frozen. Roof rakes are sold out, and shovels at most stores.

I got two leaks at my house, one I knew about from the beginning, bad chimney flashing, and one from over filled gutters in the kitchen. Don't care really, every peice of dry wall is coming out. I'm thinking I'll shovel it off this weekend.

My electrician buddy was just over, he was telling me how he was cleaning off his roof. So I told him his way was stupid, and showed him tie the blakes hitch. He was loving it.

Design the roof to take the load and all is well.

Yup. My old place halfway up the ski-hill was fairly flat, easy to walk on, snow never slid off all winter. I never shovelled it once in nearly 10 years. My new place the previous owner only lived here three years re-doing everything, he shovelled it every year. I should check it out I guess, if this roof needs to be shovelled I'll be fingering something out pretty quick. Shovelling roof's sucks.

Ice and Water installed under the shingles at the eave is the way to stop roof leaks from ice damming. In the Adirondacks just about every house has no gutters and standing seam aluminum on the bottom 3 feet of roof. It works there cause the slope of the land carries water away from the house. Most people need gutters.

Gutters are tricky with high snowfall and metal roofing. My old neighbor gave up. He moved in, cyphered that there should be gutters along the backside of his place. I warned him, his fancy continous eaves didn't last not a winter.

Damn, my hands are frozen.

Greg and I tackled those pivot bolts on the Thomas. The one that snapped I welded a bolt too, been soaking in PB Blast the last week, she eased right on out.

WOW, those bronze bushing were DRY! We decided to remove and replace the other bolt, and remove and re-grease the remaining two. I'd highly recommend that to the other Thomas owners, or anyone else with one with non grease-able bolts/pins on the pivots arms. Going to be regular maintenance from here on out!

Oh, I did more demo, and helped the electrician a bit this morning at the house, finished first coat of primer in the basement too.

Brendon, sounds like the house really needed some cosmetic work. I hope you're getting pictures. This is the biggest investment of your life and I think it's great that you're getting the chance to get it the way you like before having to move in.

My second job today was a bit tricky but we got it done. Had a huge live oak coming over from the neighbor's yard (it covered four back yards) and I had to raise the canopy and clean it up a little in order to get to the camphor tree removal along the back fence line. Ended up having to move the truck 3 times to finally be able to get to all of the removal. I was easy on the arm and didn't do anything crazy. Good to be back to work but I'm really flabby and out of shape.

I found out that the old guy who was watching me the entire time I was at this morning's job was the head director main big honcho dude for the hospital and he wanted a couple of my cards. Another superintendent for the construction company I was working for also wanted a card because he has a big dead tree in his yard. Looks like I may have scored at least two more jobs as a result of this one. :D

Daymn, Dave. That's some long nuggets!

Brendon, the bushings were dry, but were they worn? As Al mentioned, grease can be counterintuitive.

It was actually move in ready, Brian. But what's the fun in that? It had no flow, so I'm basically giving it some. :D Pics pics pics, yep. This morning we just moved/ disconnected electrical so the carpenter can do some things beyond my comfort.

Carl, the bushing looked fine, the bolts definitively showed some wear. She doesn't squeal anymore.

Slash and stage up a property line today. Harsh slope.. No burn day today so the drag turned longer. Oh well... More of the same tomorrow. Customer just left for a couple days of splitter rental :D I like when something makes me money when I am off doing something else :D

Back