How'd it go today?

I pruned 29 trees today- only 2 were "babies" but none were huge. 21 of them were hybrid poplars and all work (except for one broken hanger) was at 30 feet or less. I still have half the clean-up, minor pruning on a 14" dbh S.Maple, a span of Cobra to install and 5 stumps to grind.-Then I'll start a removal job tomorrow afternoon. For some reason I feel both tired and busy.:what:

went great. awesome weather. got to trim a couple hedges and play with a storm toppled apple tree. nice lunch at Wendys and two trips to the dump.
the last shot is the toppled after before I worked my magic. had to remove about half the tree and then uprighted it and used strapping to support it to a neighbor. client was given theadvice that this will give them a few more years out of the tree but in the long term it is riddled with european canker and will likely perish within 4 to 10 years (my estimate). they are happy with the temp fix to elongate its life a bit. vs a removal of it at the moment.

Nice work Paul.

Today my chipper made two days of cutting down brush in my truck unnecessary. I removed two spruce trees and filled my truck twice with chips. Yellow pollen was billowing up everywhere. My groundie resorted to wearing a dust mask. Tomorrow I grind the stumps with an undersized stumpgrinder, woo hoo! All the good ones were rented out and the one I am buying is still sitting in Medford Oregon.

Congrats on your ASIT-EE Jason, you lettered individual you!

My day sucked. I had two large stumps to grind and the only rental machine available was a non hydraulic walk behind rayco. My daughters school called in the middle of work to tell me that Haley had a fever of 102 so I went to get her and left my groundie to grind stumps. He is new to it and slow but some work getting done is better than no work getting done. I took Haley home, sat with her for a while and subsequently fell asleep.

When the wife came home I drove back to the job to find only the second half of the first stump finished and one large stump to go at 4:30. Sent my groundie home and channeled all my anger associated with having been shafted on the purchase of a stumpgrinder into my work. I took a big dirtbath worthy of NoBivy's air spading job, minus the environmental suit and breathing apparatus. I wondered for a moment if Valley Fever occurs in Idaho and then climbed back into my own personal nimbus of dirt, getting the job done by 6:30. Got paid, went home, talked money with the wife and now I am here.

Had a great day today. Did a huge (for this area) dead oak removal this morning. It had been dead for a looong time, 2"-3" limbs were falling off parts of the tree. With my truck outriggers fully extended on tippytoes and the bucket fully extended, I was about 10' above a main crotch with three 12"-14" leads stretching up another 20'-30'. I was able to rig them down using two blocks and spreading the load between the two strongest leads, still real punky. There was substantial limb splatter and a couple chunks broke off and smacked my truck pretty good but no damage.

Based on my 28" bar I guess the stump was slightly over 4' across. In fact the first 40' of trunk was over 3', good size oak for these parts. Started at 8:30 and finished the stump cut at 11:20.

I need to buy another camera this weekend. Too many good jobs I'm not able to document.

O.K. day... The season has taken off for me, but a lot of labor-intensive type of work. Here's a pic of a girdling root that I discovered. Yay. The tree (a Red Maple planted 3 yrs. ago) is on permanent probation.

It also looks like the maple was planted much too deep.

Here is my pinky 1 week +/- 2 hours from the first picture I posted a few pages ago, healing right on up :)

DSC03947.jpg

First day at DuPont today. Some orientation and paperwork, little intro to my job as material handler. Alot of standing around in that place. I can tell already I will be bored out of my mind there.
I had to buy some steel toes (but they give a shoe allowance), I made em Redwing loggers, just in case this don't work out. ;)

Not a big deal,saved their sorry asses on keeping the assembly line running.Then again,that's what I get paid to do.

Changed the oil in Mrs Smiths Caddy.Tilled the ground for my crops.4 feet wide,40 feet long.Big time farmer,tomatoes,cucumbers,peppers.Salad,anyone.:D

got a new goat hes white think I'm going to name him after my mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
"got a new goat hes white think I'm going to name him Butch" Inztrees

Are you trying to get someone else's goat?

Yarded out 4 huge Hemlock Stumps yesterday... Used the winch on the old truck. Glad I didn't sell the old "Blue Mule"... she earned her keep yesterday with that winch. I'm friggin' sore this mornin'. Used some muscles yesterday I haven't used in awhile...:|:

Gary

Dead oak today, leaner over the house. THe neighbor had cut 1/2 the tree down to make it worse, speedlinned all but firewood when thru 10 biners and runners. Job took bout 2 hours.

Back