How'd it go today?

Im thinking replace...

I can get a new Kohler 22hp for about 1600.00

Today was a no cleanup job. It was our first hot day and I was in the trees for around 10 hours. The bigger of the two trees was a silver maple that had been topped at around 55'. Someone in the not so distant past, topped everything at 55'. I think they just cut as high as their bucket truck could reach. I hate rehabilitating topped silver maples, they put on so much new growth above weak cavities. I took a major branch off above every old cut, to lighten the load. I made a huge mess on the ground and the customer acted like he still wanted me to cut more. With the heat of summer just around the corner I don't like thinning out maple canopies to heavily as most of the maples here have serious sun scald damage.

Now I am home and fried.

Dammit man, I typed up a nice long reply, then accidently closed out before submitting my post! I hate when that happens.

Jason basically the motor was old and tired, its developed a good knock, and today I was having some electrical issues with it. I had about stripped the motor down trying to hunt down a shorted out wire (that was producing smoke) and I grew tired of cussing and swearing because you can really only get good access to the front the motor, so I just took it out.

I doubt I'll do a complete rebuild as Im a far better treeman than I am mechanic.
I looked around on the web, I can get a short block kit for around 900.00 or I can get the complete motor for around 1600.

Not sure which Id do but Im leaning toward the complete motor, just for the convienence and also having ALL new components.
Ill tear the motor down a bit more later this week, and make a decision.

John, I'd order another motor and be done with it, shop around, you might be able to get it cheaper than that.

www.surpluscenter.com for starts.

I nicked my finger yesterday, worked another few hours, went and won a single stitch to hold the flap down, done w/o anesthesia as it was suppose to be a single stitch, however the first stitch pulled out so in he went again. I asked if he was married, he said he wasn't, I allowed as how that was probably due to his (lack of a) gentle touch.

DSC03934.jpg

If the flap will stay alive, that will take a month off the healing time I'd imagine, the top of the cut goes to the finger nail.

a jokester! get well Carl!

and stop bugging doctors, next thing you will be teasing your dentist prior to surgery!

Carl, I'll remind you of what Top Hopper told me. Super glue is great for sealing and holding together small wounds like that.
:thumbup:

Ouch! Hope it's feeling better.

We are having a great week! A job scheduled (and priced!) for 4 full, full days with the potential to head into a 5th was completed in 3.5 regular days. Woo hoo! The customers are really happy with the job. It was a stinker to get going - lots of red tape issues and negotiating with the City (the properties are on a ravine and heaven forbid even one branch roll down it) but the end result has put Tree Guy in VERY good standing with the City. The City Arborists who were jerks to him in the beginning are telling him what a great job he did, etc. This could be a very good in for the City contracts we've been wanting.

great to hear NAt, Kudos to tree guy and his team. did you have to deal with fisheries too or did the city folks make all the calls? I have had two reports that I did go to fisheries and come back declined (the removals that is).

for those not local the rule here is anything 30 feet from the top of the bank on a fishbearing waterway is a dont touch tree (unless an arborist report condemns it as a high hazard). very frustrating to many homeowners as we have lots of hills, ravines and streams out here.

No fisheries, thank goodness. Tree Guy did some of the removals for pushing the David Avenue connector in Coquitlam thru (first phase) and since they had to go over a creek they sent out a Fisheries Officer to watch him. She just sat there in a chair the entire time to make sure not a branch came even near the creek. Very nerve racking.

Yep, the municipalities are a cakewalk compared to Fisheries.

the david connector. cool. its about time that got finished! hated driving all the way up and around the plateau. :D

hey, go have that baby eh! :)

I'm working on it. :)

We have concert tickets for Saturday night so I'm kind of hoping he's late. :D

There are friends that will go in our stead though if he comes sooner.

Here's a tree that we've been brushing out for the last two days,
Probably tommorrow, we'll finish brushing, then start chunking.

It's deceptively dense with canopy and wood.
Those two HUGE windows are just waiting to get broken.
The drop zone is a narrow foot path, so we can't go huge on it.

I climbed yesterday and took some pics from the bucket today.

That first picture of the tree was after a truck load of chips, you can imagine.

Probably gonna be about 4 to 5 truck loads of chips in all.
12 yard box on the truck.

We started the job and noticed that the yoke spring was broken on the chipper, so we borrowed the Park Services WoodChuck 17.

Never used one before and it's a darn good little chipper, nothing on the Hurricane, but steady and reliable, even if we had to start it with a screwdriver on the cellanoid.

Deva, not enough height to speedline some of those tops over the house out to the front yard?
:?

You know, I haven't even thought of that til, just right now.
To think of it, any top that would clear the building on the far side wouldn't
be worth the set up time. The chipper is 20 feet from the DZ. So it's not
the walk, it's that we're lowering 30-35 foot limbs into this very narrow (6-8')
walkway.

We're just swinging the limbs horiz off the roof, and the stay shrubbery (privacy) on the other side, and the ropero is dropping them in the slit of the foot path.

By the way the tree is a removal, to replace and expand the walk way below,
So I'm trying to break it with wood, cause I can.

Nothing deceptive about that tree, there is a lot of it there. I am glad you are on the clock for that one and didn't blow a bid with it. I think Derek should fly over and help TD all those Aussie trees that have run amok in California.

Back