How'd it go today?

Happy doggie.

I just got a call from the forwarder driver who've been chanelling a huge amount of work our way.
Asked me if I wanted to run the logging on a local forest District, Svenstrup Gods. I used to work there as young.

Turns out he was pulling some trees along a railroad line that crosses the woods ( Has to be done right, there are high speed 80 mph trains coming through every ½ hour and the drive lines are running about a gazillion volts. Drop a tree into those and you are toast, literally.

The guy they have working there is a weird type. Ok logger but simply can't get along with anybody. Has been firen from about 20 jobs in the years I've known him.

So things blew up between then and Torben the forwarder guy simply leaves.

Finds the forrester and tells him that either the guy goes or they can find someone else to bring their wood out.

Basically, find someone else or I'm gone.
Forrester tells him, can't you find someone yourself, that would probably be best.

Enters yours truly and his trusty chain saw.

It is a weird world sometimes.

A year ago we were taking out some trees next to a road, acacias, a basswood, bits and bobs.

Clients were an old couple biggish house, neglected grounds, cats everywhere, filthy house, you know the scene.

Anyway, in the corner of the overgrown paddock there's a couple of plum trees hiding in the hedge line and in the course of pulling a few back from the road we half crush one of them.

The lads look at me and I say "bung it through the chipper, they'll never notice"

Two months later I get a call from the old girl spitting feathers, threatening with legal action etc. I abase myself and offer to replace it in the autumn when it's the planting season. "I want a Mirabelle" she says.

So at the weekend I source a Mirabelle and take it round with a stake and some compost, expecting her to have forgotten (or be dead!) but no, she's very much alive and still Fewminnn.

"One's not enough, I want two more of a different sort" so I get her to write down the type and race off to the nursery, where as luck would have it they have two of that exact type.

I return to see that their gardener has put the first tree in the ground, I pass him the other two gratefully and get the feck out of there.

Old people, underestimate them at your peril!

Taking some measurements Fiona. I'm working up to getting the numbers off some of the real monsters up here. . . That one was 144" dbh and about 105-110'.

The investigation was requested, but I guess technically it's just academic, and for fun.

Wonderful picture in the Wesspur Calendar this year by the way!! 8)

You rock!

Nice Jim!
Stig, sounds like a good deal.
Beauty Sam!
Ah Crap Mick, guess that's why in the old days they called old people witches and burned them at the stake.

A few shop jobs today, wood and corn stove motors.
Managed to swap out my goddamfugginsummabitch rad on my F350. At least it was a nice day. Idled all afternoon. I'm terrified to run it. My plan is to stash $200 in it for towing fees.

Sold some cedar cookies , 16 inch diameter, of all things.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0e9W0H9ekBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Managed to swap out my goddamfugginsummabitch rad on my F350. At least it was a nice day. Idled all afternoon. I'm terrified to run it. My plan is to stash $200 in it for towing fees.

Damn, Peter...you ARE one funny guy!!:lol:

Glad you got the rad done, Raj. Helluva video there!

Just got back from a nice dinner at the Presbyterian church.

They wanted to have a dinner for my father in law who just got into town and for my wife too.

Very nice people and a very nice dinner.

I did not want to go, mainly because it was for us........I don't like things like that.

Glad I went though.

The wife and kids go to the Presbyterian church, I guess it's the closest thing to Anglican.

Thanks for the compliment Sam...that picture in the Calendar was a removal after the hurricanes of 2014...Big Poinciana that was rotten at the bottom :)
That was about day 24 of 28 days STRAIGHT work...I was totally and utterly busted by that point.
I need to get me some copies of the calendar before they are all gone!

Mick I had a similar experience with some Hillsong (new age Pentecostal megachurch) churchies. They had a vacant lot to be cleared and we happened to smash a 2 metre Frangipanni (fragile ornamental tree). Hubby is there and I explain that the tree was in the way and that we weren't notified of the need to preserve it- he says "ok that's fair enough".
Payment was late so when I follow up on the invoice (via email) wifey responds that she has obtained quotes on having a replacement Frangipanni freighted in from interstate and replanted, total cost $1200. She offers to pay invoice less $1200, advises any further correspondence is via email only. She is a lawyer and claims we have willfully destroyed here property and that its criminal damage. Long story short I dig into my foxhole and she ends up accepting an alternate replacement tree total cost $200. When I deliver the tree she sees a few dead leaves and starts asking "whats wrong with the tree? look at that it looks sick..." Anyway I made her sign for it and then eventually got paid. That was my biggest lesson so far.

Back