How'd it go today?

The last time I heard it was a neighbour came over and wanted me to look at his tree, I said $50, he said he would give me the job for $40, I said see you later. Then he came out with the ladder, then he went back inside with the ladder- I was hoping he would allow me an opportunity to turn him down again:lol:

Hahahaha, didn't expect that ending statement

Yeah, "I was going to do it myself but the wife won't let me/I don't have the gear/I'm too busy"

I forget which forum it was but somebody went to the van picked up the harness, rope and spikes, offered it to the client and said "go on then up you go"

I wish I had done that!

I thought up something yesterday to say when they say that..."A lot of people think they should/ could do it themselves, but you're smart enough and have better judgment than to actually start trying it".

My favorite from the wife is "remember last time you tried that you fell out of the tree" or "when your brother fell out of the tree and you tried to catch him".

It's mostly younger people that say that they could do it themselves. With an ageing population we don't run into that so much. People are already going to doctors for other things.

20160227_185029.jpg

Well, I found the squeak in my 2002 8.1 liter GMC.

Stoopid roller lifter on the cam is toast, you can see where it ate through the hard surface.

Only sounded like one lifter when it was running, but still need to change the cam, probably do bearings too.

Not easy finding parts for these engines. I was on hold with Comp Cams for a total of one hour and never got through.

Dad was hard at work on the truck again today, he got 5 of the broken manifold studs out. All that's left is the 2 that broke flush with the head. Hopefully we'll get the manifold to a machine shop monday. I stopped by today to put the pushrods back in, hopefully we'll have the top end spun a few times to make sure everything looks right and get it back together by the time the manifold come back from the shop. Maybe even have some time to get a new rack in the 4runner, who knows.
I went to the Walmart in Allentown today (was in the area, had to stop at my in-laws to let their dog out) and was promptly reminded how much I dislike walmart, and most of Allentown in general. I made the mistake of driving past the mall at 3pm on a saturday, luckily Google put a digital map in my phone so i could find my own detour.

What did you end up finding wrong with yer 460 Chris?

I have had luck welding a nut to the broken off stud, even if it is flush. I dont have a tig welder (yet) but I have use Oxyacetylene welding to do this. It adds a nice amount of heat, which helps getting the stud out.

Had a fun night tonight...took my fiddle and a buddy who plays harmonica up to jam with three guitars & a bass player. Stayed mostly acoustic accept the bass. It was like going down memory lane the old stuff these guys were pulling off...Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, Dylan, Haggard, Hank Williams, Johnny Winter, Marshal Tucker...quite a variety. Not real pro players, but decent and a great bunch to hang out with. Everyone laughing and having fun. Played about 4 1/2 hours around the kitchen table, then headed home. It felt good to get out for a while.

Jim, we still don't know what bent the rods. We were running out the old fuel from the rear tank with we think clogged some of the injectors, but that was a minor addition to our issues.
It seems from some forum research that some of the 460's bend a few (or all) of the push rods after they sit for a long time. One guy said his truck sat for 2 years, bent the pushrods at startup, and has not had a problem since. We haven't been able to find a good explanation.
We had a neighor come down with his MIG welder and try the add a nut trick, but we were not able to make it work. The last 2 are flush or slightly recessed, so we don't want to risk welding the nut to the head (trick works better on alum heads from what I've heard).

So no, we don't really know what was wrong with it, we are going to spin it before we put the valve covers back on, but we're pretty much just replacing the bent rods and hoping for the best.

Yeah, the mig welder or stick welder dont do as good of a job at soaking the stud with heat. Sometimes you just train your torch on the stud a while before you add metal, help release the stud.

Machine shop will do fine.

Often times when an engine sits for a few years the condensation will rust up a valve in the guide and stick it. The rod will sometimes bend as a result when you try and start it.

Did you change the oil that sat in the engine or did the owner start and run the truck before you bought it? Did he change the oil?

I have seen water enter a cylinder and cause a hydro lock and bend rods, as well.

Did it run good and then suddenly start running poorly for you guys? Or did it always run this way?

I have a nice assortment of 2 flute 4 flute straight and spiraled extractors, could still use a few more different types. I have a few left hand drill bits, I can use a nice set.

I've got a 90 deg air drill, and an assortment of left hand bits as well. Exhaust is one of my least favourite things to work on.

Chris. Obviously check your guides and lifters for gunk/buildup. Also verify your timing. I missed how it was running before?

The 3-53 in the log skidder had a bent rod on #2 cylinder. Must have gotten some water in there. It was still running like a champ, however.

Haven't stopped by in a while! Hope all is well with everyone! I'm looking forward to getting on here again. I took a break from the NET for a while. The new baby has had us busy! He decided to show up a few months early on Nov 26th. We finally got to bring him home on the 24th of Dec. He is doing great now. It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do!

Congratulations, Denver!

That had to have been a heck of a first month on the whole family.
A couple of the guys, here, have kids that were born early.

Back