How'd it go today?

Multiple small notches only a inch or so. I'm curious now to see what is the largest tree I can bend over without hitting the ground

Starting a big job today. 2000 yards of honeysuckle and buckthorn to "hedge" back about three dozen pine to canopy raise and a few other trees to trim up and cable. No chipper burning on site.

Sounds like fun.

My answering service sent my check back.:scratch:

I usually pay cash at the post office. Now no more check payments and no more cash payments, just internet credit card or direct deposit. They're working hard on the no cash system lately.

Long day today. Finished up a good sized Maple in a back yard: fences, bushes, decorative wooden bridge, arbor, walkway, posts, & flowers all in LZ.

Finally felt the mojo coming back a bit in my climbing after taking Winter off. Kept things simple and old school and felt like things were getting done a a good clip compared to the last few jobs.

Hated making the extra trips moving everything w/ just the trailer. I'll try again for my med card next week. Damn I'm tired of dealing with medical people. They all seem to be interested in what they want (more tests, money, numbers, etc.) and I'd swear every one of them is deaf when I have a question I'd like answered. I'm 'bout ready to tear someones face off...or maybe just swear off doctors all together.

Sounds like fun.

My answering service sent my check back.:scratch:

I usually pay cash at the post office. Now no more check payments and no more cash payments, just internet credit card or direct deposit. They're working hard on the no cash system lately.

Yes the net is closing.
Bank holiday here today, plus it's pissing down, but braved the elements for an hours work for some newly arrived Brits.
Got a days money for it, so home and dry for lunchtime with a cheque.

Well, you have people who move here from the UK, don't speak French, so they need a tree done in their garden. They pick out my ad from an English speaking paper.
Bear in mind these people are 1hr 30 mins away. So they send me a photo of a little tree, I don't want to drive there so I say that'll be x amount of euros, cos I couldn't care either ways. They say yes, simple as that really.

Nice. That's a good market. 1.5 hour travel time, each way. Wow.

Good to have jobs you don't care about getting... Easy to throw a big number.

I glad that I could be of some inspiration to you Stig! Sometimes it helps to stand back and ask yourself what a big dumb ole redneck would do.

We should finish seeding grass today, hopefully get on to seeding spring wheat Monday.

Some of you will be pleased to know that we are seeding farm ground back to grass.

Well it's not a huge number, don't get me wrong. And not really a proper days money, more of a minimum €500 that's all.
Up to a few years ago I'd do a lot of this expat stuff, traveling all over. Then I decided to concentrate my advertising on local French (there seem to be a lot of them here!)
After a slow start I really feel I found a gap in the market, whilst there are some tree climbers of ability of course, for the most part they are landscapers who hire bucket trucks and chippers, tbh I can knock them into a cocked hat. Both in price but efficiency. Coming from southern England near London (loads of competition) you learn how to bring a job in on price or lose money.
In fact these days when I watch vids on here I'm mostly looking at chipper location, what trucks, skid steers etc.
It's the logistics of doing a job quickly and efficiently (and lucratively) that catches my eye.

Didn't go exactly as planned. A good portion of the top broke off about midway through the lowering and just kind of dangled there. The rest of the trunk cleared the building, so all in all this goes in the win column.

DSC04560.jpg

DSC04561.jpg

DSC04562.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04567.jpg

I had a ton of gear out for this, but the screen on my camera broke and I gave up. haha

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC04570.jpg
    DSC04570.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC04571.jpg
    DSC04571.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04573.jpg
    DSC04573.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04577.JPG
    DSC04577.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 74
Wow! Sitting in the house and the whole place shook, had some nick-knacks rattling in the glass cabinets! I think it was an earth tremor as the noise I heard was a strange deep, low grumble I've never experienced before...weird.

Never felt anything like this in my life.:O

Seeing on Fb others felt it about 50-60 miles away.

I wasn't sure if my old house was settling/ falling down or what...kept listening for a big explosion sound or something.:lol:

4.0 centered near Galesburg, MI about 1 1/2 hr drive S. of here.

I had a very good day today.

Have you ever seen a Holley tree? I've seen big bushes, but never one like this.
IMG_20150502_091504424_HDR.jpg

Couldn't drop any of it as it was boxed in by house, wires, and more wires, so a few hours of kinda sketchy climbing on teeny tiny spars got it reduced to this
IMG_20150502_130550718.jpg

Then another swipe with the new saw :
IMG_20150502_132158137_HDR.jpg

That 461 is simply amazing, I am so glad that I went up to that instead of the 60cc saws I was originally looking at.

Anyway, collected my 600 and was on my way out by 1:30 :D

And the HO was Thrilled to be rid of their "F'ing" tree. That was the tree type, according to them.

Back