How'd it go today?

I ask for evacuations, I even have a preprepared speech. "I am 99.99percent certain this will go right, but just in case.........." People seem to understand.

I ask for evacuations, I even have a preprepared speech. "I am 99.99percent certain this will go right, but just in case.........." People seem to understand.

Similar to mine, but due to the theater streak in me I actually enjoy worrying them slightly so they are that much happier when I make the field goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HO's put some serious trust in us. Its not like we are plumbing or paving their driveway. We could mess their world up a lot faster then the other tradesmen.

Faster perhaps, but a plumber/electrician can flood/burn your house down days,weeks or years later through a mistake.
Ours are usually fairly obvious right away.

due to the theater streak in me I actually enjoy worrying them slightly so they are that much happier when I make the field goal.

Wow, interesting perspective, I never thought of it that way but it makes sense.

No Cory, I was never a logger. And to fair they very different environments. Falling/wedging a fair standing conifer in the middle of a bunch of others is a whole lot different than falling/pulling a lone standing hardwood in a residential location. Different approach to different set of problems. I've just been fortunate to get a lot of opportunity in many different situations. You think hard and logically beforehand, pay close attention and learn thereafter.

I believe first and foremost is to know the characteristics of the particular species your cutting. Thereafter to have the appropriate rigging hardware, force.... and know how to pull and guide the tree as it falls. Anything short of that, choose another method.

I particularly appreciate Willards aproach, from what I've read of his posts here. He's a smart operator.

I've never told people to get out of their house, but I do tell them to get out of falling distance. They don't always listen.

I sometimes ask for people our of the fall zone in case of rigging failure or a hidden defect during felling.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I appreciate y'all's knowledge.

I've told people to get out of their homes for the back-cut, when the tree is within crushing distance. With crane work as well, just to be safe. You see the worried look in their faces, but when the dust settles they appreciate the fact that you care. I can fix a smashed house, I will never be able to bring back a human life.

Treework is a constant exercise of decisions, weighing risk vs the reward.

Been hearing some noise out of the front passenger side of the green pig, F450 chip truck lately, mainly on freeway.

So jacked it up and spun tire around, yep, bearings sound dry.

Got the hub/disc off of spindle, pounded out races, seal and drove new ones back in.

had to make special homemade tool for spindle nut, worked great, will save it for other side.

Test drive was quite :thumbup:

Flea market morning bought a 150ft New England KMIII new in bag for a 20 dollar bill:D then get home to two boxes from our sponsor Treestuff! Life is good and it has been a great day.

I hate going into front axles. Its really not all that bad, but for me, I just don't like it.

Im with you Tuck, always dread digging into running gear....I can do it no prob but would rather spend time fishing lol

Nice looking delicate welding on the spindle nut tool.

Thanks, I was FAA certified welder for 17years (started in my early 20's)TIG welding aircraft exhaust systems... 321SS, 625 inconel 4043 Alum, 4130 chromoly,titanium ect

Im with you Tuck, always dread digging into running gear....I can do it no prob but would rather spend time fishing lol

Thanks, I was FAA certified welder for 17years (started in my early 20's)TIG welding aircraft exhaust systems... 321SS, 625 inconel 4043 Alum, 4130 chromoly,titanium ect

In this biz having a welding background is a wonderful thing !! It affords you to fabricate many useful tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOT tried getting me in a town I never work in today. Passed the DOT cop, and he jacked his brakes, crned his head around and did a quick U-turn into a parking lot. Some cars blocked him from getting right out and getting after me. Don't know what he wanted aside from a shake down on some fresh meat. I didn't give him the chance. I told the guy in the truck with me to hang on, ripped a little wheelie in the chip truck and vanished like a ghost down a side street. I wasn't hanging around. Now, had he got behind me and got his lights on, well, that would have been that.

Back