How'd it go today?

I had a good day. Brian's tire problem reminded me of the ten minutes I spent pulling goat heads out of my tires today. Hopefully none of my tires will be flat in the morning. Do you guys have goat heads or puncture vines in your areas? We have a lot of the stuff here in Boise. They can pop bicycle tires in a flash. They are nasty little buggers.

I had a good day. Brian's tire problem reminded me of the ten minutes I spent pulling goat heads out of my tires today. Hopefully none of my tires will be flat in the morning. Do you guys have goat heads or puncture vines in your areas? We have a lot of the stuff here in Boise. They can pop bicycle tires in a flash. They are nasty little buggers.

We have them here. I assumed they wouldn't do any damage to a tire any bigger than a bike tire.

I am not certain of that. If you got one in your side wall I think it could do damage. The things are incredibly sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtree
Acckkk,

Yesterday, I was nearing the top of a 125 foot fir, when my 250 XP starting making loud noises. Finished the tree, lined out the brush, took it in this morning to the shop. They think it's the hydraulic pump. I'm crossing my fingers that that's all it is!!

Borrowed/rented an old Bandit 100 from Eli. It works, barely...has a blown head gasket, have to keep adding H20....

Brian brushed out a 125 foot fir, and I didn't start the huge fir till 2 pm...and didn't make it to the job till 11 am...had to get a new tire for his chipper as well. I take some pics of the biggie tomorrow.. I'm guessing that it has over 2600 board feet of wood in the bottom 95 feet!! It is 46 inches dbh....

Crane day Monday!

This is across the street from where I craned trees a few years ago, and wiley_p felled the biggie through the 12 foot slot....

Update, still haven't heard where the motor noise is coming from.....they thought from a toasted oil pump and have to pull the engine....crossing my fingers the engine is OK......or I'm looking at 5000+

Craned the three firs today....and got 4000 bf on the log truck. The big tree had 2600 bf, as I thought, but in the bottom 105 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

I also put this post in another thread, go there for the pics....

http://www.gypoclimber.com/showpost.php?p=168804&postcount=75

we have them, they will puncture some car tires

When my kids were running around on bikes all the time I had learned to get the heavy bike tire, buy those liners that go between the tube and the tire, get the heavy tubes and put the goop in it. They were getting to be a problem in my apple orchard and I even bought some bugs that are supposed to use the goathead as a place to lay their eggs and thereby reduce the population of seeds.

Pernicious weeds!

I try to be friendly with all the other local tree services. One of the bigger services bought a larger Morbark chipper than I have. They did not spend the extra money for the $500 torque wrench, so lent them mine the other day. Mike the owner brought the wrench back today to my jobsite. He looked at the big silver maple I was in and offered up the use of his bucket truck. He dropped it of and let me use it all day. I told him to let me know what I could do to repay the favor and he just said don't worry about it and to let him know if I needed the bucket truck anytime in the future.

I was very gentle with it. I haven't flown a bucket for a couple of years now but I kept reaching down on the wrong side for where the controls were on my old company's trucks.

Felled a bunch of big leaf maple yesterday. Had tons of room, so only had to climb one tree. Throw line to set pull lines, redirect through block to the little Toyota and over they came. Wedged one biggie. No pics, but here's a couple from last Thursday's leaning fir....it leaned during our winter storms. The client had moved in later, and didn't know it was hazardous, till a neighbor informed her of its new lean. nice of the sellers, eh......?not

The tree was 100 plus feet tall, but was stable, so I simply climbed it....not very brushy..... took a small top...piece of cake for a leaner.

A couple of removals for the local DPW/ Parkway tree's. Had a hard time staying awake watching the DPW dick the dog cleaning them up.

It was a day... I drove in to the office, had my conference call, went out in the field, did some servicing, came back to the office, had lunch, sat in on a meeting, had a conference call, and left early. :D

Pruned some maples and a liriodendron. Removed a siberian elm. Considered removing a very large rose bramble from a safe distance and then thought better of it. Perhaps I'll be hungry enough in winter to do it. Bid another four jobs and then came home.

A while back I complained about the proliferation of phone books here in Boise. There are at least four and I am currently in three of them. I signed up for one of them that I later regretted as they seemed not to have their act together. The book was much delayed but finally came out. My little ad is the largest ad of any tree service in the new book and is one out only three ads. The book is the same size and feel of the larger and more expensive DEX phonebook and I think a lot of folks will mistake it for their 'normal' book. I think my mistake might be a stroke of luck. My call volume is up as is to be expected in fall, but on Monday's, my busiest call day, I can barely get any work done for answering the phone.

Okay day. I pruned a BIG beautiful honey locust-too cheap but the little old lady is really a sweetheart and I really wanted to prune that tree. It looks great but I managed to take a swinging drop as the rope came off of a stub and banged my shoulder. Despite the bruising the climbing wasn't bad but the raking sucked the hairy moose lips.

I had a no-show on the groundie today. We were supposed to shape the trees at the local motel (which is a full day) and I waited around until about 8:30 and then I took the dump trailer to the dump and went and retreived my tractor/loader about 30 miles away and collected for the job there. The customer there was/is the mother of the prettiest girl in my high school class. I got the tour of the family photographs. She talks non-stop and apparently is able to breathe without any pause in the discussion. She goes from one subject to the next with no warning and I really have to concentrate on not letting my eyes glaze over and start day dreaming of her daughter in that cheerleading uniform 30 some years ago. Then I did a couple of bids and went to the bank and that was the end of the day.

started a landscape job this morning, took two hours to do what I projected to take 5. un-installed the current plants and took the stuff to the dump.

Talked to helper guy and he said he was happy to put flyers out at households for free as it meant "more work we generate from flyers = more work for me. Why should I worry about 20 or 50 dollars to hand out flyers when I can make more work for us and we work for all day every week?" he is a good young guy, german import recently and his english is actually pretty good. So I printed a hundred flyers and he went for a stroll this afternoon.

I went to the nursery and picked up tomorrows plants for install. after the plants I need to grab a load of mulch and we should be done by mid afternoon. :)

Oh, and I attended a meeting this evening as I am the provincial chairperson for a certification program, we have a test running in 3 weeks and needed to get the stuff in order, 8 of us there, finished about an hour before we figured. and there was chinese food supplied! :)

brought lefties home for the wife, she is devouring her second dinner as I post, so much for her "I am pregnant and I dont feel like eating this and that" phase, at least I hope!

Last edited:
Ahh this is what an easy work day feels like. :D

We wrapped up this months installs and upgrades on Tuesday, so it's been kind of slack the past few days. I left early so I could get my debit card working for work, and took the conference call on the way home.

Tomorrow will probably a long one. :lol:

Back