How'd it go today?

Well, I think it is true. You can make a rod for your own back, it's alright to hand out some readies when the job can stand it, but they'll want it when they've worked just as hard on another job when you've priced it a bit tight.
With me you get the same money if you finish at 1pm or 6pm and to be fair they are usually mid afternoon finishes.

The bloke who ground for me ATM is pretty good, a while back we were doing some trees and the HO came up and said in front of him "could you take out that Cherry as well and grind the stump?"
"Sure" says I "that'll be another €150" deal done.
Groundy said to me"what's in it for me, I do extra work and get nothing" (bear in mind he had discussed this with his wife on the phone before this little chat)
I told him he gets to keep his job.
It's not about treating people like dogs, which I try not to do, it's about boundaries.

That groundie had no right to ask what he asked.

Never tell the pickers the price of the cotton.

The bloke who ground for me ATM is pretty good, a while back we were doing some trees and the HO came up and said in front of him "could you take out that Cherry as well and grind the stump?"
"Sure" says I "that'll be another €150" deal done.
Groundy said to me"what's in it for me, I do extra work and get nothing" (bear in mind he had discussed this with his wife on the phone before this little chat)
I told him he gets to keep his job.
It's not about treating people like dogs, which I try not to do, it's about boundaries.

I might have told him to start walking home...... That would have pissed me off.

Maybe, but overall he's pretty good, IME you can't have everything in a worker, some are punctual, some are often sick, some are lazy when you turn your back.....etc
By The same token you can't have everything in a boss, some are assholes some are too nice,he's been with me 6 years now so we rub along ok, plus he makes CDs up for the truck. Mixing Neil young with the Doors and The Band, that counts for a lot!

Very true. None of us are perfect. Ive never had a perfect worker and none of my workers would ever accuse me of being a perfect boss.

Gong through life is learning how to deal with expectations, or perhaps better not to have them at all. Every day is different. Rewarding someone for extra work or spreading around the good will with the crew if a customer chooses to reward you as the boss, I consider a very positive thing whenever possible. In part, I think how you look at it is in the nature of the type of work relationship between boss and employee, is someone like a for that day employee only, or deeper involved? if the longer term someone draws conclusions that they should be getting such whenever similar situations arise with some extra duties or whatever, they need to work out in their brain that life isn't always so simple. There is the day to day you can get picky thing, or the overall situation of an association over time and what all is involved with that, i.e. the give and take. If a worker sees the boss as someone that wants to be fair and offers the overall consideration of trying to look after their interests in a considerate way, imo there is no need to isolate stuff to analyze and get bothered about. People that want to do that, it seems to me to be short sighted. Keeping score can make you crazy, I don't envy people that operate that way.

That someone is going to be expecting something every time, and basing your own behavior on that, strokes me as catering to their restricted mindset. Is someone sometimes borrowing your tools, or taking advantage of your generosity in another way, plus knowing that you were and are there for them if something important should come up, it's all part of the big picture. I also am not naive enough to think that everyone is built that way to have such a concept as the way that they think. Exploitation is a bad thing, it is an uncomfortable feeling to get the impression that someone is doing that to you, and unfair to want to do that to someone else. Definitely care has to be taken, and trust is big in longer term associations and covers a lot of territory. It's an important think to keep too, not get lazy about it.

Finished the hundred tree removal job and was rewarded with a good knock on the head. Log rolled off the pile while i was bent over in front, fortunately a shorty and a glancing blow that left a little egg and took off some skin at the hairline. Never saw it coming. Last part of the cleanup and I had removed my helmet = dumb. My wife got pissed, had a little argument over it. How many times can you say, "I'll be more careful"?

You know how it is. Sometimes you just don't want to hear stuff even if you know that it's true. Busted A all week and walked in the door at 7:30, she could have waited until the next day to get pissed.

You know how it is. Sometimes you just don't want to hear stuff even if you know that it's true. Busted A all week and walked in the door at 7:30, she could have waited until the next day to get pissed.

Glad you got your project done Jay, with only minor injury. Sometimes they do get their timing a little messed up. I was in the middle of a 50,000 dollar day once (expense, not income) and the wife jumped me about my socks on the floor of the bedroom. Both kids and the wife, hell even the dog know the "look". I am not sure what it is, I have never done it to myself, but it works.

Back