How you store your gear, and whats your set up.

Finksies

TreeHouser
Hi there,

[SUP]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7erZwLoII[/SUP]

1st post but have been lurking for the past year. Its a rainy day here in NH so I decided to shoot a brief video on my equipment, and how I store it. Currently for my business I have a regular cab F250, and a F350 regular cab dump. Both have no dry storage, so im left to use Husky job boxes that are cheap and get the job done. For the guy just starting out, or those with "on the cheap" set ups. How do you store your gear and chainsaws. Thanks!

Tom

HI Tom! Glad you decided to post. :)

I run an F150 w/toolbox and F450 chip truck. I run pretty much he same set-up for storage, but have a GRCS and quite a few more ropes, blocks, pulleys, saddles, comm helmets, etc.

All together I might load two boxes same size as yours, GRCS in one and saddles & light duty slings in another, a third, much larger box for work lines and heavy slings. and Two bags w/climb lines of 120' and 150'.
Saws, spurs & such ride in the toolbox.
How I pack things depends on the job and weather, and if I need both trucks. I can relate to not enjoying hauling stuff in and out, especially when I only use my F450 and throw everything in the back.

comm helmets ride in a cab. (How's that for a set-up:/:)

I'll probably keep this set-up of trucks, but want to put a cap on the pickup and storage bins on the chip truck.

I stow my climb saw, my 4 rigging lines, rigging slings with biners, 2 blocks, a few small pulleys, large port-a and a micro port-a with slings each, gas, oil, spurs, straps, sledge hammer, and cargo straps in the truck box, and it's packed. 3 climb lines and climbing gear in the cab behind the seat, in a duffle bag. The pink Barbie box... well... that's not mine.

IMG2974.jpg

Come on Rajan, fess up.We promise not to ridicule ya for over a month!:P

I have that same little tool bag (green/brown. tough bugger.

Welcome Tom. It's all bags and boxes for me. Just ordered some Klien tool bags as my previous lesser quality bags are wearing holes through. Try to keep each to 70lbs or hopefully much less.

For me I keep my life line in a5 gallon bucket with a lid, all rigging ropes and slings go in a craftsman tool bag so they can stay away from all metal objects, blocks, hand saw and spikes all get packed in the car as to not cause damage to other equipment. I usually put my saddle in the back seat of the car and chainsaw in the back of the trunk. I have just found that everything has its place and order in the way it gets packed. And NO metal/sharp thing near any thing it could possibly damage. But them again I work out of a little import car. Once I get a truck I will probably go all out and get a nice job box. Cause moving stuff all the time is terrible

you all need to check these boxes out. I've been running them since '98, lifetime warranty! http://www.800toolbox.com/5thwheel/5thwheel.htm
MVC-003F.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like most of are in the same boat. I hope to have an excuse to buy a grcs next year. Those things rock.

I'm drooling over some of the boxes on that sight Wiliie. Problem is they probably cost more than my truck.:cry:

Tom, it's not something you'll use every day but when it is called for on a job you'll sure be glad you have it.

We keep all of the climbing and rigging gear in the back seat and floor of the crew cab truck. It is usually loaded to the roof. We fabricated a rack on top of the cab to hold all of the saws. There are little boxes under the floorboard when you open each door of the truck. One has a small library of sharp chains, one has handsaws, one electrical repair supplies, and tools. Rakes are on one side of the dump bed. Cones and tarp sit on the chipper, cart sits in the chipper infeed, and the blower sits on the tongue. Still need to make something better for pole saws and pruners. I want to make a sealed box for them all, there are times I appreciate having insulated sticks on the job.

Buckets and tubs for rigging and climb lines. I need a couple Husky boxes. I would prefer those for a couple of rigging kits and a climb kit.
Pulling gear, blocks and slings in handled bags (remember the ol buck bags? Yup) and the climbing bag is like a duffle gear bag. Saws ride in the bed. I have an F250 ex cab 4X4 and a F350 with a wooden box to catch chip. Kind of primitive peter and we have to unload a lot. Re load a lot. We try to roll lean job to job and take the required gear with some back up to each job. But if I don't need more than a 24" bar, the big saws stay home kinda thing.
Someday hope to have a utility truck just to roll with and a chip truck when we need it.
Things are always changing in CA, so I have to be flexible
We are currently building sheds over at the shop at the other house. Gear will be locked up water tight there.

I got this about a year ago...one of the best things I have done for my tree work. It is wonderful having things all together and ready to go when needed. I used to have to store stuff in several different locations. This was a Craiglist score...$850 I think (or $750...either one it was worth it).

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9446.jpg
    IMG_9446.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 98
  • trailer1IMG_9448.jpg
    trailer1IMG_9448.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 96
I have really thought out the equipment trailer idea and it just wont work for us. The tighter the turn radius the better. Today I have to drop the trailer with mini off at the local mini store parking lot and lock it down just to get up to an account. Often times we have to take two trucks rather than a trailer. Just no good way on steep drives with no turn a rounds

Eagle gas cans - is that what those two steel cans are in the back of your trailor Gary? Does everyone know that a co started making and selling rubber spouts for those again? On ebay, Rotax or some such.

Back