How many of you are running ported saws

That 034/036 really does pretty good with just a little muffler work and the rest stock .Surprisingly well . Light weight ,plenty of grunt .

I think though that with some massaging an 028 could be turned into a runner too .One awaits in the shed as I type for just such a transformation .

Al, you talking about my 034?

I didn't know you had one Fred . Actually I was refering to mine .

It's stock as far as no porting work done to it ,just an 034 bottom with an 036 cylnder and a Meteor piston .

It's stock as far as no porting work done to it ,just an 034 bottom with an 036 cylinder and a Meteor piston .

That sounds more to my liking :D. Then this big strange yellow looking thing :).

Mac805011.jpg

Mac805006.jpg

Mac805005.jpg

I didn't know you had one Fred . Actually I was refering to mine .

It's stock as far as no porting work done to it ,just an 034 bottom with an 036 cylnder and a Meteor piston .

Al, you saw my 034 flippy, 064, 066, and 084 that day at kevins

Most people who pick up a saw and comment on it being so heavy, don't understand that the weight doesn't make much difference once the bar is in the wood.

Maybe just dropping saws into already felled logs you're right, but in a felling situation you are wrong, expecially with humboldts. I had a saw go down a while back and had to use my 3120 for a week of interstate felling. I can assure you that you well and truly notice it :) I now run more than one saw in each class so it never happens again.
Just ask any loggers how much they'd love to use a 3120 or 880 for tree felling over their 395XP's or 660's ;)

C'mon, cut me some slack, it was a generalization. It would be boring to have to write ....and to read, about every little nuance to get a point across. If a heavy saw was such a big pain to use when it was cutting due to weight, nobody would be buying them. Obviously, back chaining or however you are doing a Humboldt cut with a very large saw, is not the easiest thing on your arm or shoulders...back, all day.

I recall seeing guys using 090s when smaller saws seemed more appropriate. The power in those things was an elixir.

IMO about 80% of the guys buying the MS880s or 3120s are guys with only a small amount of experience and they have decided they want 'the biggest saw available' because they are big time now. They buy the biggest because they think they need more power but their saws won't cut because they haven't perfected the whole sharpening thing. These are the guys who pull out the biggest saw they own to cut a 36" pine tree.

The other 20% are guys who buy them for milling, racing or the occasional big stump cut.

How about if you got a smoking hot deal on an 880. Which now sits in garage 11 months out of the year.. Where does that group me?

Same as me, Scott. The occasional stump. I wish I had more need for mine but I'm not pulling it out to cut average size wood. :(

I actually have found that my 660 with dual port muffler and skip chain cuts a lot faster than the 880. Plus it's still not broken in good.

C'mon, cut me some slack, it was a generalization. It would be boring to have to write ....and to read, about every little nuance to get a point across. If a heavy saw was such a big pain to use when it was cutting due to weight, nobody would be buying them. Obviously, back chaining or however you are doing a Humboldt cut with a very large saw, is not the easiest thing on your arm or shoulders...back, all day.

Heh heh, sorry :) But as far as people buying big saws as mentioned above, most people think they need one but only a few of those actually do.

When real users pull out an 880 or 3120, they do so because they need to, not because they want to :)

The currently produced big saws really aren't that heavy compared to say the over 100cc saws of some years ago, especially the gear drives, but just the size of them tells you that they aren't an everyday saw for the vast majority of people.

When real users pull out an 880 or 3120, they do so because they need to, not because they want to :)

Having one may generate the need.
Because the foresters around here know that I have a 880 and bars up to 60", I'm the one they call, when they have something really big, that needs felling.

Many years ago, I bought the first 084 sold in Denmark. I bought it primarily as a milling saw, but the word of me having that monster spread, and I started getting jobs for it.
Of course that only worked because I already had a reputation as a good faller. If a rookie faller bougth a big saw, it most likely wouldn't get to run much.

The currently produced big saws really aren't that heavy compared to say the over 100cc saws of some years ago, especially the gear drives, but just the size of them tells you that they aren't an everyday saw for the vast majority of people.

Well discounting the gear drives and most likely a surprise to many that really isn't entirely true .If you take take two modern large saws ,880 Stihl and 3120 Huskey and compare them to like sized classics they weigh about the same .In addition to those two add the 2100Homelite like my avatar and the Mac 125 they all are within a pound and a few ounces of one another .

These things ( 166 ) handled like a half filled water balloon to operate. JMO :lol:

Compared to the 3120 and 084, I considered these heavy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqXOHsQE3Wk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqXOHsQE3Wk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back