How long/how much $ for these?

My way of doing them would be flop them all, have a forwarder stack them up, chip everything and sell the chips.
Chips are priced like pepper in the 16th century here............almost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is an unusually large mesquite! I’d love to get some to turn on the lathe. Wish I was closer - I’d come help for the day just to cut some blocks of it the size of large Priority Mail boxes, dip them in a bucket of melted wax (or at least Anchorseal the end grain), and mail them back East.
Wonder if Priceline has any $99 red-eye flights?!?
I have Pirate Ship account…

How do you think I feel, Patrick?

I did get a piece of intercontinental wood once.
Fiona sent me a piece of extinct Bermuda cedar as a gift.
Which I gifted back to her as a pepper grinder.

Last edited:
Nope.
Have you any idea what it would cost to ship a block of wood to Denmark.
Plus, my former partner, Richard, tried two times.
From South Africa and Brazil.
Got confiscated both times, due to not being fumigated.
Fiona just got lucky with her chunk.

Last edited:
I'm bad at time estimates, and it depends on what all equipment you have. Less equipment could cost less, but it could cost the same because it takes longer, though probably a larger profit margin. I say assume 1 day on the 9 trees and a half day on the single. I'd probably ask for $2000-2700 for the 9 trees, + $1500-2000 to grind the stumps with a rental (grinding would be on a separate day). Maybe around $1200 on the mesquite, and $200 for the stump if the grinder is already rented.

It's really hard to get a good feel for the size of trees in pictures. Price could also depend on the market in that region, how wealthy you think the customer is, and how cheap they are regardless of wealth.

Make sure you don't get extreme sunburns from the sap from fig and their leaves.
I agree about it being hard to estimate times.

Market value is market value whether you bring $1M or $10k of equipment. Craning is almost always lower impact, so a different product.

Nope.
Have you any idea what it would cost to ship a block of wood to Denmark.
Plus, my former partner, Richard, tried two times.
From South Africa and Brazil.
Got confiscated both times, due to not being fumigated.
Fiopna just got lucky with her chunk.
I shipped a saw to Ireland. Regular it was $400

With pirate ship it was $175

I’ll check if you want to give me an address.

Firewood is most of my money. It's a young man's game though, unless you have a processor. If we can work around my wife's schedule (my biggest challenge) I'd be happy to come work for you. Gas saver wheels...now that's a real hurdle lolz. I might could talk Mama out of her little Hyundai...
What size trees do you usually get? I’d come do some for fun. Always looking for opportunities to drop trees. Need to come up there between New year and Feb, drop a tree for a friend and drag it home for speed wood for my chainsaw GTG.

My brother ran a double ended splitter once. He said it would keep two guys busy and buried in wood. Needed convenyors.

What size trees do you usually get? I’d come do some for fun. Always looking for opportunities to drop trees. Need to come up there between New year and Feb, drop a tree for a friend and drag it home for speed wood for my chainsaw GTG.

My brother ran a double ended splitter once. He said it would keep two guys busy and buried in wood. Needed convenyors.
size depends on ranger district, Pinetop is 12 inch DBH, Springerville is 18 DBH. That's just for pines, Fir and Spruce. The Oak and aspen are out of leaf and illegal after Oct 14, size cap on Juniper and Cedar also vary.

If you're gonna be working in my area, hit me up, I'll come run the camera for you if nothing else! Git me outta the house!

Oh, forgot to mention, I've got a really good relationship with my local rangers, so I get to cut blowdowns that are out of the dead and down size cap. So, we may be able to get some bigger stuff. Also, ive got permits valid till new year...

Oh, forgot to mention, I've got a really good relationship with my local rangers, so I get to cut blowdowns that are out of the dead and down size cap. So, we may be able to get some bigger stuff. Also, ive got permits valid till new year...
Sounds tasty but I’m slammed until after NY. Vehicles to fix, holidays, etc.

What diameter do you like best or has the best balance between yield and not-too-heavy?

I have a gin pole and winch in my truck, heavy tilt bed trailer. Winch them up on like a roll back, or I’ve been wanting to try parbuckling

@Kaveman and @davidwyby You two might want to read this old post of mine from way back. It might give y'all some ideas about getting that far away firewood to the road...
;)

for the 9 trees, im flopping them in the yard, cut off everything 12" and smaller to winch into the chipper and quartering the butt logs and chipping them as well, leave the stumps around 6" tall, $3200
$600 each for stumps if they want them ground

for the single mesquite, $3500, id go up in the bucket and limb it out and chop some 10ft logs off, chip the few limbs and go get the dump trailer and mini ex, come back and haul 2 loads to the dump
assuming you are using a flatbed for everything and a towable lift, need to account for the lift at about $5-600 a day, and disposing of non chipped brush which I can't comment on since IDK how you plan to dispose of it

with my typical 3-4 man crew we can do both jobs in one day and pocket right about $6000 after disposal and paying help assuming the jobs are somewhat close to eachother, otherwise id plan for 2 days

but you know your expenses and what you can do in a day
my rates are coming from my experience with my crew, equipment, and expenses, so best I can really say for your situation is "take your expenses, bill for that and add on whatever you want to pocket at the end"

For a friend, hell, you gotta estimate that in beers per hour...

I have an entire sliding scale of alcoholic payments for your humor and consideration.

If I'm just running a saw and making sure nothing but the tree dies, maybe a six pack and a twenty to cover my gas.
If I'm climbing and rigging that mesquite, I'm coming down to a Foo Foo frilly cocktail. I want fruity, possibly with an umbrella.
If you want me to come fall timber, some "real hairy-chested manly shit". It'll be steak and whiskey.

for the 9 trees, im flopping them in the yard, cut off everything 12" and smaller to winch into the chipper and quartering the butt logs and chipping them as well, leave the stumps around 6" tall, $3200
$600 each for stumps if they want them ground

for the single mesquite, $3500, id go up in the bucket and limb it out and chop some 10ft logs off, chip the few limbs and go get the dump trailer and mini ex, come back and haul 2 loads to the dump
assuming you are using a flatbed for everything and a towable lift, need to account for the lift at about $5-600 a day, and disposing of non chipped brush which I can't comment on since IDK how you plan to dispose of it

with my typical 3-4 man crew we can do both jobs in one day and pocket right about $6000 after disposal and paying help assuming the jobs are somewhat close to eachother, otherwise id plan for 2 days

but you know your expenses and what you can do in a day
my rates are coming from my experience with my crew, equipment, and expenses, so best I can really say for your situation is "take your expenses, bill for that and add on whatever you want to pocket at the end"
$3200 is good on the 9 trees, but $600 per stump is way over in my opinion. $400ea max in my opinion, but I'd even entertain $150ea if that's all they would pay with no grindings haul off. I could still pocket $1000 at the end of the day with a rented grinder, depending on the quality of the machine.

Last edited:
Back