How long/how much $ for these?

davidwyby

Desert Beaver
I’ve been asked to remove these 9. I’m curious how others would do them, and time/$.

Locally they are called Indian Laurels, I think they are a ficus. Sticky white sap.

Bigger one on the east end looking west.

72239374833__28369728-494F-4E3D-B89A-0D4885D6A09C.fullsizerender.jpeg 72239370713__0560B0BB-44D4-4B56-8F82-1F8B38D51D6D.jpeg

Big Euc (beautiful!) in the foreground not included.(East end)
IMG_0649.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm bad at time estimates, and it depends on what all equipment you have. Less equipment could cost less, but it could cost the same because it takes longer, though probably a larger profit margin. I say assume 1 day on the 9 trees and a half day on the single. I'd probably ask for $2000-2700 for the 9 trees, + $1500-2000 to grind the stumps with a rental (grinding would be on a separate day). Maybe around $1200 on the mesquite, and $200 for the stump if the grinder is already rented.

It's really hard to get a good feel for the size of trees in pictures. Price could also depend on the market in that region, how wealthy you think the customer is, and how cheap they are regardless of wealth.

Make sure you don't get extreme sunburns from the sap from fig and their leaves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The laurels I’ll probably piece/drop onto flatbed trucks and trailers. He actually wants them taken to his in-laws in the country. Probably teach him to use his new Farm Boss and they will have firewood.

I have never done it but I’m thinking about negative rigging the mesquite onto them too. I need it in as large of logs as possible since it’s valuable. That being said, probably flop it and winch it up on the trailer.

Bonfired where? On site or back at your place?
I try to avoid ending up with limbs but what I do end up with goes to the shop yard to dry and then to the desert for a big bonfire on New Years, and other times if necessary or desired. I have forklifts to handle at shop and try to keep in big bundles.

Honestly, I don’t know.
How long will it take you?
How much waste material will you have to dispose of, and how much will it cost you?
You really have to figure this stuff out yourself.

Estimate what you would do each individual tree for including waste removal. Add it all together and you get a price.
Material handling and disposal are the wild cards. How many loads. What equipment you have. etc. From my desk, those are 800.00 per ave trees chipped, but not hauled. And that would depend on how far and where to? If I have a gardener with in a mile I can dump chips on, no charge. Keeping the wood? $100.00 per load out with in 12 miles plus my hourly plus tare fees at the dump at 55.00 per ton on top of my bill If I dispose of the wood. 2-3 ground, dingo, chipper, two trucks. That way while one trailer is running material out, the next one is filling.
From My Desk.
Which means asking stuff like this, is almost silliness unless you actually have an idea what you charge for your kit and how long it will take you and the other parameters of the job. And then it's just math....Pictures do NOT tell the full story but only inspire opinion. Opinions are not facts.
My .02
This shat goes on all the time on Fake Book. Arm chair arborists delight...

Honestly, I don’t know.
How long will it take you?
How much waste material will you have to dispose of, and how much will it cost you?
You really have to figure this stuff out yourself.
I have my ideas, I’m just curious how others would do it, etc. Mostly generating discussion. I’m gathering dropping is the quick easy part, removal and disposal is what gets you. Hence straight onto trucks and trailers. Not as fast as the mini X, but close.

I bet a day for the 9, maybe a little more since the dropoff site is about 30 mins away.

The mesquite…pretty easy flop after topping but winching the logs and breaking down/wrestling the limbs takes time…again, hopefully straight onto the trailer.

Yes, $800 each is what I was thinking, or a little less considering no house or fence and not very limby, but I think I could work in a quantity discount considering how numerous they are and how easy they look.

Be it known that trees in pictures are often bigger than they appear.

I have my ideas, I’m just curious how others would do it, etc. Mostly generating discussion. I’m gathering dropping is the quick easy part, removal and disposal is what gets you. Hence straight onto trucks and trailers. Not as fast as the mini X, but close.

I bet a day for the 9, maybe a little more since the dropoff site is about 30 mins away.

The mesquite…pretty easy flop after topping but winching the logs and breaking down/wrestling the limbs takes time…again, hopefully straight onto the trailer.
Can you really drop and load one of those trees in less than an hour? They look pretty damn big for that without some equipment to load them and a massive trailer to haul them. Not to mention drive time and dump time. IMO your estimate is way out of line with reality. Working by yourself loading by hand you would be lucky to do 3 trees per day.

Can you really drop and load one of those trees in less than an hour? They look pretty damn big for that without some equipment to load them and a massive trailer to haul them. Not to mention drive time and dump time. IMO your estimate is way out of line with reality. Working by yourself loading by hand you would be lucky to do 3 trees per day.
Myself and my son, two flatbed trucks (one 20’) with a trailer each. Drop the limbs that go the “wrong” way onto the trans, then the rest of the trees. Maybe. Assuming they will let us drive on the grass. I have not seen them in person, maybe your eye for scale from pics is better. They don’t usually get very big…but one I did that was killed by a house fire was a 75’ ball of foliage.

Pack it tight. I've been known to really pack a trailer. Most people, including bosses, don't want to touch a piece of wood, just touch it with the machine in a disorganized way, so the trailer only fit's 1/3 of what it could.

One time I was loading logs, and had a relatively long round trip. I packed it so full, that I decided to stop rather than overload it, which was smart, because it was probably already overloaded. I hauled a good 2-3 times as much as anyone else would have, and I probably could have fit a lot more, but I was struggling with being able to lift many of the logs, with no saw available.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to crawl up on the trailer and to a little rearranging by hand and make a few cuts. That time spent is haul time saved.

I'm so out of work that my quote would be maybe $1500 for the lot. A Hondo a piece for the nine, the rest for my harness work. But like I said, I'm desperate to do something!

I'm so out of work that my quote would be maybe $1500 for the lot. A Hondo a piece for the nine, the rest for my harness work. But like I said, I'm desperate to do something!
I ain’t tooo far from you (if ya got some gas saver wheels) and it would be rad to meet. If I get a job that requires a climber or tree pro I enough to make it worth it I’ll holler. Come to think of it, I might have one. Demo 2-3 palms in the back and one or two Thick laurels in the front.

Ever try doing firewood up there? My buddy there doesn’t like sawin and is older. I told him if he’d get a permit I’d come do it but haven’t made it up there.

Pack it tight. I've been known to really pack a trailer. Most people, including bosses, don't want to touch a piece of wood, just touch it with the machine in a disorganized way, so the trailer only fit's 1/3 of what it could.

One time I was loading logs, and had a relatively long round trip. I packed it so full, that I decided to stop rather than overload it, which was smart, because it was probably already overloaded. I hauled a good 2-3 times as much as anyone else would have, and I probably could have fit a lot more, but I was struggling with being able to lift many of the logs, with no saw available.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to crawl up on the trailer and to a little rearranging by hand and make a few cuts. That time spent is haul time saved.
No stranger to log wrasslin’

027C1893-7153-417F-8B7D-3D2EF9BB7B4A.jpeg IMG_0175.jpeg

Firewood is most of my money. It's a young man's game though, unless you have a processor. If we can work around my wife's schedule (my biggest challenge) I'd be happy to come work for you. Gas saver wheels...now that's a real hurdle lolz. I might could talk Mama out of her little Hyundai...

That is an unusually large mesquite! I’d love to get some to turn on the lathe. Wish I was closer - I’d come help for the day just to cut some blocks of it the size of large Priority Mail boxes, dip them in a bucket of melted wax (or at least Anchorseal the end grain), and mail them back East.
Wonder if Priceline has any $99 red-eye flights?!?

Back