How far will you travel?

I drive up to 2 hours any direction except west. I don't go west. The farthest was 8 hours over Sierras. Our name preceeded us there for a fat campground job.

I charge one way travel time to arrive, when I leave their gate I'm off the clock and find it hard to charge them.

Go west young man, Hawaii is waiting!

50-100 Miles one way regularly, usually over mountain passes. Have gone further as well. Won't drive class A CDL over mountain passes without compensation.

Travel time is a hard one for me to charge directly for, as a contractor to the feds. I cover it by making my daily rate for a 3 or 4 day training high enough that I can mentally add in the additional two days travel, do the math, and still feel adequately compensated. That, and make sure ALL the incidentals are completely covered...with significant travel involved, those can eat you alive if you don't keep a sharp pencil point as you build your bid.

20-30 miles usually, I usually charge 1 way over that and both ways if it's a distance. I love working in the mountains and often go from 1500' elevation to over 5000'. Can't leave this place without going over a mountain pass but that's part of the pleasure of my area

usually more than one hours drive I will charge for the travel time from that point till I drive back past again.
Have done clearance work with the railway and that involves stays of up to four days interstate, the company pays for the accommodation, food, travel allowance and away we go to some place never visited before, do some tree work and hang out with the locals for a couple nights at the pub, maybe pick up a cash job or two then head back to the city.

Back