How do you sharpen saw chain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Jay: I've noticed that too, but I'm just talking abt the difference between say, a Fanno and a Zubat, or an Ibuki. I really like the Japanese blades. Much more better!

As I've said I've never seen a 3/8" bar in large mount Stihl size .I'm sure they make them though . Well that is to say never in a long bar one would associate with a saw of that size .Nobody runs 16 and 20" inch on a Stihl 088 but racers .Well ,maybe Stig ,I forgot .:lol:

Yes that's certainly more so than a 20" .Around here though they run the 36's on 066's and 42 s and up on the 084 .I know of of no 88's .Damned few 084's for that matter .Well one in my shed that's only cut cants the last three years if that accounts for any thing .At that rate it should last forever .

Heck, even out here the 084 stays in my shed almost all of the time. It is a pleasure to run with the 42" b/c on a good sized felling job, balance isn't bad at all...conversely, that same powerhead with the 60" mounted is nothing but azz busting work to handle.

How about a 17" on a 090:lol:
17" loop of Stihl .063 full skip .404
bottom photo: 60" loop of Stihl .404- .063 semi chisel harvester chain

Attachments

• Husqvarna 272XP.jpg
    Husqvarna 272XP.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
  • anna 033.jpg
    anna 033.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 12
Actually I'm putting the 090 back to work next week on the 36" Alaskan mill. I'm almost all caught up on some major local storm damage removals and have a good stock pile of saw logs.
32 foot 12"x12"s anyone?

Proof:

sk_promo.jpg

Notice the stump height?

About 2 inches off the ground in the lowest side.

That's a Eurologger stump, buddy:D

We can cut em low if the situation dictates!

Attachments

• misc trees 014.jpg
    misc trees 014.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 14
Stig, just when I thought I had you figured out you went ahead and switched things up on me with a long bar.

Don't forget, I lived in the PNW for some time in my formative years.

It keeps popping up at the most unexpected places.

Much like the LSD I had fun with back in the days!

Willie, that is LOW for you. Looks like you turned catholic, too.

Lawdy you must be a glutton for punishment .There certainly must be someone with a bandsw .
:lol:No punishment at all Al. When you get really good at filing sawchain , have the right equipment and a little physical endurance its actually a real pleasure.
With my 2"X4" aluminum tubing slabbing rails I can cut lumber from 8 ft to 32 ft right where the tree is felled and bucked. All I leave behind is the sawdust and slabs for the firewood guys.
While doing removals for customers I leave behind a few very valuable sawlogs and makes arrangements to mill them later when I have time. So why mess around moving heavy logs and a band mill. I always carry my slabbing rails under the trailer and 090 mill in the pickup.
13 yrs doing stud and structural lumber grading before I got into the arborist biz helps a whole lot too.
tree service 007.jpg

Well yeah if you're cutting a cant 32 feet long you really don't have many options .Lotta work though .090,sharp chain or not .

Willard, what the hell is that beastie in the foreground of that pic?
That Burnham was something I pieced together almost 30 yrs ago when I was just a young logger looking for excitement.Its a Yamaha YZ 125cc bike saw. Many hours of tinkering and $spent.
I used to enter alot of hotsaw races with that baby . Here in Canada our sanctioned competions have a cc limit of 140cc to keep things a little bit more sensible and safer.
Haven't raced it for about a dozen years now. One day I will take it back out to the shows and have a little fun.

Attachments

• hotsaw 009.jpg
    hotsaw 009.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
I always kind of wanted to build a bike saw just never did .Maybe some day and get someone else to run it .I came to the realization these youger gents have much faster reflexs than I .You could get the fastest saw in the world but without a good sawyer you're dead in the water .

Back