Honest review of the Husqvarna 592XP

1savagehunter

Treehouser
Looking hard at a 592XP looking for some honest feedback - have also considered the 661 or 500i but kinda kicking tires at this point. Going to pull the trigger right after Christmas so i'm all ears.

Skip the 661. The 592 and 500i are for different jobs. If you are using a saw off the ground, then 500i, (unless you are cutting really big stuff that requires a 592). You went a beast on the ground, then 592.

Never ran a 592xp but owned it's daddy, the 395xp. Had it for about 12-13 years before selling the business and it is still kicking ass to this day. Yeah, it doesn't have the bar adjustment on the side cover like all the new saws. But it kicks ass and takes names and sounds like a dirt bike. Bailey's has them on sale for about $1200-1250 depending on bar length and they will be discontinued soon. They only were the top of their class for the last 25 years.

I don't understand why a side tension cover was never made for them, either by Husky, or aftermarket. Not like it's hard to do. I'd pay $50 for that option, maybe more.

I don't care so much about balance, I'm not dueling, but cutting however thick of a log I need to cut. I'd run a 20" bar on it if I'm not cutting anything much bigger, or I'd run a 42" if needed, but 42" is getting unwieldy for general use. I used to have a 1 saw plan: Jonsered 2188 in my avatar with 20", 32", and 42" bars on hand depending on what I need. 32" is a nice all around general use bar, but the 20" got the most use.

We are mainly running .404 42” bars on the 592xp and 395xp.

The 592xp is a great saw, runs like a large 572xp, it’s smooth and pulls hard. The 395xp still out pulls the 592xp by a good margin. I would argue a 36” bar would balance better than a 42” on the 592xp.
Most of the new blood isn’t keen on tuning a carb.

I wouldn’t bother with a 90cc saw until I needed something 36” and longer. The 572xp and 500i are great options, both will pull a 32” bar very well with a little help.

500i. Pulls a 32" just fine, even at 9000ft elevation. Husqvarna looses way to much as you move up the mountain.

In my personal opinion, after a year and change with the fancy fuel injected saw, any carbed saw is obsolescent. Not obsolete, but on the way. Just get a different air filter, the stock one sucks and you'll get a ton of ingestion.

I saw one for real on a tree climbing encounter. I was tempted, but it stayed on the shelf. The problem is, the crimping for the eyes is made over the plastic sheath of the cable. It can hold the weight, but if the saw comes with some motion, nothing much holds the steel cable inside and it can slip out of the crimping. I guess it's perfectly fine for a light weight like a ms150T but time to time, the saw have to fly away to free the hands in a critical catch/push. That can give a hard tug. I didn't want to take the risk to hold the occasional big saw, even with care and smooth handling. So I stay with my retired rigging sling. It doesn't have the benefit of the recoil, but I know it can handle just fine from the ms150 to the 3120xp ( in every cases, I never intend to drop in the air this monster saw, smooooth !).

I'm pretty happy with this...

IMG_20230428_172428354_HDR.jpg

I have it connected to a toy biner on my saddle. I might have to connect it to something else for a 90cc+ saw, but the little biner holds the usual stuff fine.

Great pics @BIGTWIG !

Hella balanced pic on the cottonweed.

What kinda boots are those in pic #1?

I use the same lanyard, too strong to be safe. IMO
When topping, or anything sketch, I unclip. Hate if you want, but when I took my fall, the saw was almost 40 ft from where I landed. Because I hucked it. I'm not about to land on a saw, or take a pole-whiped saw to the face, that's what a cleared kill zone is for.

Breakaway gear is great, until it's not, and say breaks away to soon, or worse, not at all. As I've said elsewhere, we take the risks we're comfortable with.

Personally I like the idea of "this won't break", and working around it, especially compared to the idea of my $1600 saw succumbing to gravity due to an over priced bungee cord.

Also, my wife bought me my 500i as a birthday present, so if it falls out of the tree, I'll be phuckin tied to it. It'll be because I dropped ME, not my beloved "Miss New Booty"

Back