Gardening 2013

i posted this in the gardening 2012 thread, ill put it here too just for kicks
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YcFj7rPjAnQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
since i made that, some of my beans and squash have come up. i planted some leeks on sat and some fingerling potatoes a few weeks ago. pretty soon ill be getting a whole bunch of starts, should be a great year in the garden.

Snow and frost is what is going on here. I have every windowsill full of tomatoes and chilies, waiting to go out in the greenhouse.

at the risk of over sharing, here is another vid of my garden. things are really starting to grow!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yUuFy3L4zlQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keep the wood chips thik in your walk ways... Then... next year.... put what is in the walk ways into the beds. Walk ways are next years compost.
Looking good.. :)
You incorporate any worms yet?

I just ordered 10 pounds of field corn seed from R.H. Shumways. It's a very early variety, which should mature in 85 days. 10 pounds will be enough to plant about 1/2 acre, which will produce about 100 bushels of corn. I use the corn for chicken feed. 100 bushels will last me about 4 years, provided I can keep it dry and free of insects and / or rodents.

We still have snow on the ground here, as well as frost up until Memorial Day, so I won't be able to do any planting until around June 1st.

Joel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Grew my first garden so far this year. Slow taking off but it seems to have gotten a good head of steam going now. Sweet onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, romaine lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, herbs, several tomato varieties, and some strawberries.

My buddy's aquaponics tomatoes. Rocking, he is getting 100 pounds a week and soon 200!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372310721386.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372310721386.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 31
I am still recovering from last year's garden, so I'm giving this year a pass. Fortunately, there are a number of places around where I can go and compliment the growers about how their crops are doing, and end up going home with vegees myself. Sneaky, I know. :D

I prefer my pellet gun.

Yeah, I lean more toward lead poisoning myself...
These work good on the gophers, so you don't have to wait for them to pop up all day :D
trap%20drawing.jpg

caughtgopher.JPG

http://www.gopherslimited.com/

Right after planting

garden 001.jpg

Few weeks ago. Also using 2 rows of fishing line around exterior to confuse deer and try and keep out. 1 has learned to finally just jump over.

garden62213 001.jpg

The crows around here will eat tomatoes, and of course corn. Watermelons they like to taste. :X This little fellow, called a Hakubishin, will wreck havoc on corn too. By far the biggest garden raiders in the area are the damn chimps. People up in their areas have no choice but to use electric fences or have their dog on patrol. If those vegees are in your residence and the doors or windows are open, you could well have some unwanted house guests. Even if locked up tight, they might hire a locksmith for a pineapple. Monkeys aren't dumb. They are quite good at assessing which humans are a threat to them, and which aren't. Without some armament. a person could well think twice about getting into a confrontation with a young and strong male. Big muscles and big teeth! :\:

Attachments

• hakubishin (2).jpg
    hakubishin (2).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet crows could be an issue in my garden if I allowed it but I scared them off two months ago with warning shots. They were ripping through my trash cans if the lids came off. Crows are smart and have a good memory. After shooting at them a few times they never returned.

Tricks for keeping crows out.... Hang a dead crow on a stick. Put one of those big eye type inflatables on a pole. Crows are very paranoid of Owls, if you have Owls in your area. Inflatable Owls or wooden ones on a pole seem to work, but you should move them around from time to time. They sell them for gardens. Things work sometimes and sometimes not at all. You need to assess the IQs of the crows in your district. I have seen a few geniuses, no doubt smarter than me.

Has anyone ever installed rubber snakes in a tree? I put a 1/2 doz on the leads of a live oak that went over a driveway. Only done that once...

I doubt it would work for crows, since crows eat snakes. I watched one in the road peck a snake in the head until it died, then bon appetit! It was brutal, the poor snake didn't stand a chance.

The crows around here will eat tomatoes, and of course corn. Watermelons they like to taste. :X This little fellow, called a Hakubishin, will wreck havoc on corn too. By far the biggest garden raiders in the area are the damn chimps. People up in their areas have no choice but to use electric fences or have their dog on patrol. If those vegees are in your residence and the doors or windows are open, you could well have some unwanted house guests. Even if locked up tight, they might hire a locksmith for a pineapple. Monkeys aren't dumb. They are quite good at assessing which humans are a threat to them, and which aren't. Without some armament. a person could well think twice about getting into a confrontation with a young and strong male. Big muscles and big teeth! :\:

That is funny! Don't have that problem here but they have a place called Global Wildlife. It is like 100 acres fenced in with all kinds of animals such as deer, Gazelle, Giraffe, Zebra, and other species. The tour guide last time I was there told me that they had monkeys at one point. The monkeys would steel purses from women climb on the roof and empty the contents everywhere. They finally decided to get rid of them when one hitchhiked a ride with a lady who had left her windows down! She didn't even know the thing was with her until she was about an hour away when it jumped on the back of her seat and nearly caused her to wreck!

Back