Gaffing out?

When using dual lanyards, I use my adjustable friction saver as my second lanyard. Its an almost exact replica of the one Stephen posted photos of in another thread recently. I find it easier to use than my climb line and unicender for the purpose, and I use it when I get to my TIP so I'm not carrying any "extra" gear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice substitute. That's a ingenious idea. Im going to get some pics when I have time.

Having a hybrid like a HH or Bull Dog Bone or Rope Runner makes a difference also when alternating.
I gaffed out a couple times in this one, tired on a pretty crispy critter.
Skinny bugger... .20 sec delay on the start
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LFSNx0SZYio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like how quickly you can advance/change that blue line SRT...and once went DRT with no fuss.

Whoever threw that belay line up to you is GOOD...hella throw.

Don't you love those unintended Zorro wraps? Hate having to go back up to unwrap a line that wraps like that.

Gaffing out is most definitely more enjoyable when using a lanyard....it's a bit disturbing when free-climbing! Back when I started climbing, we never used a lanyard unless the tree was too big to get a grip on. I still free-climb quite a bit, though I'm getting more cautious now that I'm older, wiser...and a grandpa.

Nice video Cursed, That was pretty smooth. Is there a thread on here of how many people use tree gaffs to pole gaffs, or both depending on the tree?

Back when I started climbing, we never used a lanyard unless the tree was too big to get a grip on. I still free-climb quite a bit, though I'm getting more cautious now that I'm older, wiser...and a grandpa.

Most old timers started that way TS, only sissies hitchhiked (flipped) small trees or poles but my attitude has changed dramatically as I've grown older too. My goal is to never be in a tree without being tied in one way or another. I guess self preservation has overtaken bravado.

Most old timers started that way TS, only sissies hitchhiked (flipped) small trees or poles but my attitude has changed dramatically as I've grown older too. My goal is to never be in a tree without being tied in one way or another. I guess self preservation has overtaken bravado.

Treesmith, just get radical and change INSTANTLY to do what Ray says...just DON't get off the ground without being tied in somehow. I learned to climb in the 70's...just hold on until you felt like you needed to use the lanyard...often at the first limb, whether 20 feet or 50 feet up.

That (dumbass) mentality cost me one broken wrist and one spur gaff just above the right knee. The second incident happened way back in the woods...the jeep that was taking me to the clinic to get sewed up ran off the jeep trail and got stuck in a mud sink. The guys had to cut a small tree to put under the Scout jeep (leverage/fulcrum) to get it out of the mud...and me bleeding the whole time.

You owe those grandkids your best effort at not getting hurt..they don't want that..you don't either. And WE don't either. Be safer, bro.

When you ascend a tree via hooks and a lanyard, keep your (gloved, thumbs up) knuckles against the tree as you grip your lanyard securely.

When you kick out, simply go into a plank position but, instead of balancing on your toes, use the spurs instead.

Practice it...

;)

I would hate to hassle for a picture. But, that would tell a 1000 words, Sir.

ch74, do you have, "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work", by GF Beranek? It could be a prerequisite before posting about tree work at the forum.

You know a shut up newbie would have worked just as well.....:/: Don't tell me what to do your not the boss of me.

You know a shut up newbie would have worked just as well.....:/: Don't tell me what to do your not the boss of me.

Is this in response to my thought about obtaining Jerry's book? Simply a suggestion, my friend, something that most of us here have taken advantage of. No need to get hot. For Chrissakes....

Thanks guys... Just sort of shows the alternating technique with the hybrid variable. And that gaffing out happens, stick em bakc in and get back to it. And why you stay tied in.
As far as pole gaffs and tree gaffs ch.. Pole on thin barked are great. Easier on the ankles. Tree gaffs in your deeper furrowed or thick bark trees is more better. I use both in the past.. Now just tree gaffs as it seems one of my gaff spikes disappeared one day and I have just stayed on tree gaffs.

Thanks Cursed. I still need to try pole gaffs, see how they do.

I climb primarily on pole gaffs.

If I am on flaky or thick bark including big Doug fir, I don't sweat a very rare gaff out. I usually have fall arrest built in, or might rope climb over a very large butt that would be a struggle .

Pole gaffs, way easier on joints.

Back