DSCN2566.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN2568.JPG
    DSCN2568.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN2159.JPG
    DSCN2159.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 209
A tip from Burnham...if you are using a adjustable friction saver cinched up tight on a spar, and are planning to bail out to the ground leaving some significant standing stem, there are times when the large ring will snug up flat and tight against the spar and resist your pulling the end of your climb line w/ retreiver through. If this is your plan, put a HMS biner on the large ring and run your climb line through that instead of the big ring. The big ring will lay flat against the spar, and the biner will lay at approx. 90 degrees to that, leaving an unrestricted opening to pull your rope and retreiver through.

Can cut down on doing a bunch of rope flapping and pulling to get the FS free.

That's a good idea. I've definitely had that problem a few times.

I've been using a 3/4" ring from a throwbag instead of a ball as my retriever and it slips through the big ring when it's laying flat. Got the idea from Mark Adams.

This trick works particularly well if you are going the simple route and just tieing an overhand knot in the end of your climb line for retreival.

Using that small ring is a good idea, too. How exactly do you attach it to the climb line?

I like the idea of putting a carabiner on there, when using on a spar. I do have a small ring but the ring will slip through that shackle I have on the first pic of my AFS. It doesn't though on the ring and ring AFS.

jp:D

Like Chip I use a ring as a retriever, except in my case it's simply a sturdy washer. I use some throwline to prusik it on to the climb line for retrieval. Works great even when the ring is flat against the stem.

I am more concerned with the rating on the cord that holds the small ring on your set up ... I am guessing that the large ring is on 10mm bee line that is adequate for each leg... But the line for the prussic is what I am wondering about.

attachment.php

Like Chip I use a ring as a retriever, except in my case it's simply a sturdy washer. I use some throwline to prusik it on to the climb line for retrieval. Works great even when the ring is flat against the stem.

Same here, I spliced a piece of zing-it onto the ring kind of like a mini-sling and girth hitch it to my lifeline. I just leave it on the eye of rope.

They make a 1" ring that will catch a small shackle.

I use an ART Ropeguide, have done for a few years now and yes it's expensive and a PITA to retrieve sometimes but overall it's bloody brilliant !

This trick works particularly well if you are going the simple route and just tieing an overhand knot in the end of your climb line for retreival.

Using that small ring is a good idea, too. How exactly do you attach it to the climb line?

I've seen splice or tie a short loop of throwline to the ring so you can girth hitch or prusik it to the end of your climbing line.

I've also seen guys with the ring permanently spliced into the eye, then the friction saver was pretty much permanently attached to the climbing line. They'd climb to their TIP, set it and forget it. I don't like that idea, though.

love
nick

Me either Nick.... Any reason why everyone uses ring to ring rather then using a HMS biner as the large ring ?

Greg

You dont use a throw line to pull it ? and are you using Alluminum or steel rings?

No throw line on retrieval. Of course I'm not gonna drop it down on asphalt, but a biner can take a smack even falling on a lower limb.

Aluminum rings, although I did order some steel after this FC run around.

I really don't use them all that often anyways.

I was never really worried about using alloy biner vs aluminum ring because of the banging around and moving parts, but for the convenience in set up time and attaching and re-attaching when at the system itself.

yes, there are moving parts and needs to be inspected, but what doesn't.
Granted I dont always use a throw line to pull it out either. I've used both sytems for years however, I dont think anyone can admit to miss catching there rings on the way down and smacking something. I'm guitly of that.

Greg

Heres my ten penneth, possibly throwing a spanner in the works.

Sorry about the pic quality, its a few years old but still using same system;

Image017-1.jpg

Image016.jpg

Oh, forgot to say, steel ring though!

I am more concerned with the rating on the cord that holds the small ring on your set up ... I am guessing that the large ring is on 10mm bee line that is adequate for each leg... But the line for the prussic is what I am wondering about.

attachment.php

That is NE Tech cord, rated to slightly over 5K.

Greg, I use two rings because I almost never install an FS from the ground. Every once in a while, for some odd reason (lack of an area to stand in the canopy to install an FS) I will set it up with a throwline in the ground. Standard procedure is to isolate limb, pull my line up, footlock up, and then install the FS while in the tree.

jp:D

Ha, I guess pictures of rings aren't so exciting.

I think those are the same ones I got from Rich Hattier. They're nice for sure.

Not enough that I've taken notice, but then again I'm not a clean freak like some folks ;). I've been using them for over two years now and they're still in great shape.

Back