Friction Hitch confirmation!!!

I climb on a runner, but my friction hitch on my lanyard has been a bit grabby lately, I think it is a VT, but I'll have to pull it out sometime and check. These hitch convos are very helpful for seeing what different variations are available to experiment with.

Butch, what about the TITS? I don't see a second tie in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Using a VT and my current hitch set up in this video(XT). It doesn't set back while the pulley wheel is faced towards me but does when the attachment holes are. The splice of the termination end seems to contact with the hitch. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't matter what way the pulley is faced, it suppose to work either way. Anyone have this problem? How can I fix it?

https://vimeo.com/159747532

Tried it again and it still slides but occasionally grabs after so many feet of drop. It grabs only if I turn my rope bridge swivel to have the pulley face away from me

https://vimeo.com/159749357

So I tried the distel hitch and it works great. When pulling myself(hip thrusting motion) it always sets back and locks. BUT the downfall is, it's super tight and not smooth at all to descend. I'm using a 30" 8mm OP e2e on 1/2" NE hi-vee rope. Do you guys think having a 9-10mm e2e would smooth things up, being that it's a thicker rope and won't bind up to hard compared to 8mm. For the distel I'm using 5 top wraps before coming down on 1. Or would a 28" e2e help with less wraps? I'm trying to use as much wraps as possible to have this hitch compact and less sit back, but at the same time run smooth on descend. But the more wraps there is the harder it grabs. And the less wraps there is the farther the sit back. All your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Tied cord allows you to adjust your length and experiment, and its loads cheaper. Splices are nice.

Hip thrusting sucks. Get a foot ascender. I think that CTs are well liked, but someone said they wear their strap out, somehow. I've had the same Pantin for about 8 years. Little sign of wear.

Before I switched to srt and before a foot ascender, I would girth hitch another hitch cord to a caribiner and clip into my saddle. It would get the friction hitch just high enough I could reach it but still just pull myself up. Eliminated humping the rope. I don't know if it was kosher but it worked for me.

Tied cord allows you to adjust your length and experiment, and its loads cheaper. Splices are nice.

Hip thrusting sucks. Get a foot ascender. I think that CTs are well liked, but someone said they wear their strap out, somehow. I've had the same Pantin for about 8 years. Little sign of wear.

We mostly do spiking, hardly ever hip thrusting. I could easily pull the running end from above the HC setup to get my self up and pull the slack through. In the video I'm just using a thrust to show how my hitch gives that particular problem.

When I was on the HC I'd wrap the friction hitch so the rope would be "pulled away" from the up lef of the climb line, in other words I'd flip the hitch 180 the other way. Keep more of a gap between the hitch and the spliced rope end.

I did the same as Rich for a while, having an extension between the bridge and the HC, but I'm typically slow, so I like to get to work as soon as possible with little change over in the tree, not a big deal really, just not a fan of doing extra steps in the tree. ;)

I've always climbed on a Distel. Try the 10mm cords, AP or Beeline Code Blue have me wondering why mechanical devices even exist. . . ;)

Gonna order a 10mm AP this weekend and test that out, would you recommend a 28" or 30" e2e?

DRT I like the VT the best...8mm hitch cord on 11.7mm blue moon is pretty smooth

I only use the Distel on my CE lanyards ...its a bit tight when releasing but thats what I want on my lanyard

I started with distel and schwabisch? Moved to vt and now use xt and love it,im small guy,the 1/2 hitch below the wraps makes a world of difference. I also tried that pulley in the same manner and received the exact same results as you. I dislike the possibility of the hitch being able to be hindered.

If you ditched the swivel it would have a better chance of staying faced the proper way but imo srt and never look back.... Game changer.

I ordered the 30" 9mm arbpro e2e before posting this. I'll try that out before ordering the 10mm.

Back