For groundsmen what do you expect and what do you pay?

CoreyYLTG

Treehouser
In my world a Groundsman is a skilled trade. He:

Can tie a Bowline, a running bowline, a bowline with a yosemite finish, a water bowline, a double bowline, a bowline on a bight, a spanish bowline, a cow hitch, a timber hitch, a clove hitch midline and the working end, a farmers knot, and an alpine butterfly. He can also tie three common friction hitches as well as a blakes hitch.

Can use a porta-wrap, x-rings,- and safe-bloc. Can use all modern lowering devices as well as get a few wraps on a tree. Is trained and can use a Maassdon puller, fiddler blocks, GRCS.

Can use all modern chippers from a chuck and duck to a tree chipper.

Has a drivers license plus DOT physical. Can drive any truck within his DOT cert.

For that I will pay $18 an hour. Add a CDL and I'll go $20.

Sounds like a great wage in Ohio for those specs. A CDL is a big step also.

Butch I hope you don't mind but I snagged that from AS quite a few years ago and passed it on to the guys at work. All the ground men wanted a raise to fulfill those qualifications. Boss told them he would if they could. Most could not.

Drag branches all day without complaining, follow instructions, be AWARE, manipulate flippy caps, tie on tools, know what each tool is called, run basic ropes, fuel and oil saws without major spills
Not have to have the SAME instructions repeated for the SAME job on a different day.
Not have the baby mamma calling every five minutes or have to go to the doctor, dentist, psychiatrist, financial assistance every other day.

Right on Bermy, especially the AWARE part. Being aware and observant takes care of almost every safety concern. Hard to do that with a phone stuck to your ear.

Back