Footlocking

OK...the one piece cam will either grab both ropes simultaneously and work perfectly to secure the footlocker, or will fail on both ropes simutaneously if the cam fails for some reason (only scenario I can visualize would be loss of the pivot pin). Since the latter could conceivably happen, I think a backup via a friction hitch on both legs above the Shunt, or a mechanical like I described would still be a good idea.

Smaller diameter ropes might escape the Shunt...I'm not sure about that, but if possible then again it means a backup is imperative.

On the surface of it, there may be no more risk than using the R.E. dualcender (alone) like Greg advocated in the original linked thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds good, my 'if it wasnt good as a primary' plan was to try putting it under my cord with some sort of handle kindof like a marbar or something. I can do pullups on a bar all day long but holding my weight gripping the rope is what kills my hands.

Rethinking...you wouldn't need a backup hitch on both legs seperately, just a single hitch around both legs should do it, since there is no way for one leg to run free through the Shunt, that I can visualize anyway.

I am more a fan of rope on rope, although I do use the wrench, pantin and a handled ascender with footloop and a homemade chest harness to tend the wrench. Again I will pull these out when the tree calls for it. More tools in the bag the happier I can be. Have always considered the handled ascenders for footlocking but never saw the need. Prussic stows quite nicely on the saddle or better yet dropped to the groundie.

Whatever you do, don't just go on my opinion...kick the idea around the House (and anywhere else that appeals to you) and see what others think, too. I'm surely not the be all to end all on stuff like this.

Same thing I said. More wasted money of which I have spent too much already. Finally got my gear streamlined with stuff I actually use all the time and a few sometimes. Yeech. It's still too much IMHO.

If you're gonna get serious about footlocking doubled rope, get the CMI single handle, dual cam ascender. I loved it when I climbed DRT and did more footlocking. It has a few nice features built in that prevent the cams from opening at all and the rope ever escaping. Often times I used it without a back up, since the only real problem I could think of would a cam would have to shatter or completely pop out for anything bad to occur, which I saw as a very, very slim possibility.

Almost forgot I made these. I did a video review of it and then some in action footage.

Review
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fFElGoAI4PI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In Action
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/npcRhdByOO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In my opinon footlocking works best with 1/2" -13mm rope . It seems most climbers today have switched to the smaller diameter ropes where mechanical ascenders are a must.
The hand grip on 1/2" and the heavier weight of the 1/2" through the climbers boots work alot better.

BTW just got back from my 2 week vacation:)

Did you do anything that was fun?

:D
Oh yeah the family and I had some good adventures. I'll have to download some pics off the camera later. Gotta get to bed and rest up a bit from todays drive.
I put in over 3000 miles towing the 28' camper.
70 mph on the #1 trans Canada highway.

You would need twelve steps to kick us for good!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
:)I think it's impossible to quit THouse.
Back on subject , remember the big 1 1/2"-3 strand rope that hung in the high school gym? You don't have to double that puppy to footlock.:D

BUT, that rope is not for foot locking ...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vr-RrpBDrDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:O

I vaguely remember being able to do that. :cry:

Back