Footlocking

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Branching off from the stiched eye thread:

With all the advances in mechanicals and different techniques like SRT and its many forms is there still an emphasis on footlocking in production settings?

What are you guys using to footlock? I just got one of the stitched beeline slings: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Accessory-Cordage_6/Beeline-Footlocking-Prusik-Cord . I have been thinking of using my petzl shunt as my safety or maybe putting a loop on it and just putting it under my prussick cord?

When do you do it? I just learned how to secured footlock working for Big Green, I understood what a lock was and used it in DRT to body hump but never did a static before. As such I have been doing it a lot lately and it seems to be most useful from 20' and up. Usually I just pretie my hitch at ground level and then either have someone pull it up to me by pulling the tail through or i pull it up and tend it tight myself. I leave the footlock prussick on just held loos while I hang on my lanyard or stand on a limb.

I find that I pull down with my arms while bringing my feet up for the next lock, this seems faster but far more tiring. I have been trying to refine my technique as best I can.

What about everyone else?

Never footlock ... I know probably stupid. I just ascend with a handled plus pulley on the line with GriGri on really long ones I have had ground pull tail

Pantin for me. Less effort all around. If it's a long ascent I have a left foot pantin on a bungie with a footloop for a walker setup.

Ah but footlocking has it's place. It's not gear intensive. Between 30' and 50' footlocking makes sense. It is just one more skill in my set.

Avoid it as much as possible my self.
It recruits smaller muscles at the wrong time.
You should be focusing the lift of mass with largest muscle groups.
Short term no harm done but over many years the chronic
damage is not worth it in my opinion.
Ropewalker 1st ropefrogger 2nd interms of effeciency.

I actually love to footlock. Weird, I know, but up here in pine country, it is a rare occurrence. I just have a length of ice tail tied in a loop with double fisherman's... I like the simplicity of it and when I'm not feeling pulling out the pantin, RW, hand ascender, foot loop set-up it is quick, 'easy' access.

I actually love to footlock. Weird, I know, but up here in pine country, it is a rare occurrence. I just have a length of ice tail tied in a loop with double fisherman's... I like the simplicity of it and when I'm not feeling pulling out the pantin, RW, hand ascender, foot loop set-up it is quick, 'easy' access.

X2 on not pulling out the SRT gear. Trees like this. IMG02740-20120313-1021.jpg

I enjoy it somewhat. Where I climb everything SRT, I usually break out the walker set up tho. Much faster and efficient. If the situation is right, I'll choke my line with a oval screw link to the TIP, so I have two parallel lines with one side anchored at the TIP. I'll tie my RW set up on that side, and just extend it away from me with my lanyard and foot lock up like that. If I climbed DRT, I'd foot lock quite a bit more.

I actually got into foot locking because of competitions. That was an event I had a lot of trouble with. First time I competed when I was 17 down in Charlotte, I had a time of a little over 2 minutes for the 50' footlock. 2 years later, I would have had a 31 second time if not for my misjudgement of trying to hit the bell 6" short.

Hate it as well. Still teach it to those whio want to learn. There are much better access methods, in my mind it's like the Smokejumpers. A way to do things that is quite outdated. Unless one is going to compete in the TCC's then it is a waste of time.

Since I have two left feet when it comes to foot locking, it spurred my interest into SRT. Too efficient to be ignored once dialed in and you get your rhythm down.

Hate it as well. Still teach it to those whio want to learn. There are much better access methods, in my mind it's like the Smokejumpers. A way to do things that is quite outdated. Unless one is going to compete in the TCC's then it is a waste of time.

Other than the work climb, I can't think of any TCC event which would relate to the real world of climbing.

I saw the real benefit of footlocking come alive when I was working on military bases, our average trees were in the 40' - 70' realm and it would be running through trees down streets and in park stretches, just going down the line hitting the deadwood and clearance. My routine was hit the high target, pull a line throw on a prussik and be in the tree all within a few minutes. When you find a rythm with it, footlocking is fast, clean and efficient.

jp:D

I started climbing at 40, I been climbing and cutting trees for 5years ( not much but again I was thrown in the deep end, swim or sink ) and taught myself to footlock at 42 so go figure. I have always been athletic, but some dudes ain't so age is just a number in my book. I figure anyone who puts their mind to something can get it done, it just becomes how badly they want it. I just know there is something about footlocking that's sweet. Won't do it all the time but it's a tool in the bag.

Jay if you use the double handle ascender I believe that really helps with footlocking especially in the beginning. There's some time in the beginning like everything where it seems impossible but it gets easier and easier as your body gets used to the movements and the muscles develop. Worth the effort IMO,

jp:D

I would keep things simple, bite the bullet and get some 10mm prussic cord and make an endless loop using sliding double fishermans so you can make adjustments for your extension reach. Play with different lengths until you get the sweet spot when you stand up on your lock and get the prussic pushed as far as your extended arms will allow and then add a couple of inches so there is a little slack. It sure is nice when you get the hang of it. Ascenders will call for a backup in case they pop out. But it's your choice. Good luck with it.

Back