Fighting The Heat!!!

You live in hot and humid, how long will it last in a tree with constant movement at 95+ with 100% humidity?

And will sending it down to have ice water poured over it be enough to recharge?

Edit; alright, from what I've read, it's probably best to buy a back up coolpak while one is cooling- the other is being used. But the question still stands on the amount of time in Florida summer heat.

Thanks.

Szajer, buy a set, you will never regret it. I am a no BS kinda guy and can tell ya these are a must have in your climate. You will need to pack a cooler with ice to recharge the spare set and just rotate through them as needed. When you first put them on it feels "cool" but after a bit you don't notice it and wonder if its working. However at the end of the day you won't be destroyed like usual. Best $200 you could spend !

I wore mine EVERY DAY last summer, even when playing tennis. Absolutely makes a difference for me. I get 2-3 hours. Two sets to rotate.

Wish I knew they made this last year :( I made bank -and could've had this ready for summer 2014.

I tallied up $330. for my needs.

Last summer I had four days that I had to leave a job early. One of those I actually got heat sick. Not a stroke, just sick, dizzy and weak. A heat stroke for me is no more sweating, cold clammy skin, pale, shaking and nauseous, that's only happened once in my life.

I'm bummed that the work isn't rolling in yet —so I can start picking up the gear I need for when it gets real busy. And this time of year is perfect for tree work. Low humidity, 70 and breezy. I think the customers like seeing you suffer so put off having you out till it's the hottest days of summer...

Thanks a lot for turning me on to this. I probably would've never known it even existed. I need to get out more....:lol:

Luckily, its an 'off the shelf' item, so just order it as the heat dictates/ work allows.

Somehow, I guess its being more established, I am getting better at not going ahead with a plan to remove a big tree on the hottest day of the year. We do get into the mid 90's each year, if only for a couple days.

For brush dragging groundies, what say you?

What's the fabric/weave comparable too?

Does it dry quickly if taken off and hung to dry during a break?

Mine is kind of a rip-stop nylon/canvas fabric, almost like chain saw pants. Can't imagine it would be as comfortable against the skin as a t-shirt, but it probably would work better. If I were a groundie and it wore out after a summer, I'd buy another. It doesn't dry out fast, but doesn't need to.

When I first got it I said, $300 for that?? Then, on those sweltering days, I find myself clinging to it, altho most of the time I forget it's even there.

On the web site for cool vests they recommend not wearing the standard vests against the skin. They do have one that they recommend for use against vest, believe it is white.

I'm considering these for the summer. Its as someone (Butch?) said, it might not feel like its working during the day, but at night, after work is done, you'll know.

How good is it to have AC in the truck to cool down between jobs or what not (I don't have it in my trucks)?

It would be interesting to take your body temperature before the cool vest and after. A change of half a degree could be significant, and I could imagine it.

Often a bigger removal, for the climber, is shaded until the spar take-down, later in the day, in greater heat. I can see this helping.

I'll try to work the shade/ sun in my task planning. For example, when I had to end-weight reduce a big conifer for 6 hours in the tree, I started on the south in the morning, and worked clockwise, using the sun and shade to my advantage.

In a total sun for the groundies type of situation, I have a EZ Up shade canopy. Good for splitting firewood in the summer, too (firewood processing area is total sun at my place).

I use the cool rag that I purchased for the ending of last summer. This alone- has been a life saver for our heat. I hang it on my neck and tuck the ends in the front of my shirt / throat area.

What I like about it the most is that as it's cooling, it's also absorbing sweat. I'll take it off every 20min or so -and wring that sucker out. It's amazing how much fluid it holds. And yes, it really does stall cool, even in our subtropic temps.

Back