Facebook On the Job?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really good Idea, the trouble is: I'm workin' for the man, and our jobs tend to be so tight stretched that, many days, we can't even afford an extra five minutes just to get the thing out of the truck or whatever. I'm not some stogy old guy (well, o.k. I'm kinda old) who's just opposed to technology, or something.... It just really doesn't work for us out in the field.

I had a guy recently who was always on his phone so I said " I am about ready to throw that f@#$%ng phone in the chipper" he left it in the truck after that but it was a telling habit like August's thread about a drivers license. So he isn't around anymore.

That's pretty telling Rajan. Yeah.... maybe the writing's on the wall.

Phone in the truck is normal unless they are waiting for an important call. Warn him, then if no joy fire him.

Thanks Pete: I think what I'm going to do is to tell him that the next time that that thing comes out, and we're not on break, and it isn't an emergency: he's out. I've never actually even formally done that.

I see it often enough but have turned a blind eye so far-not being the worlds fastest climber means that occasionally my groundy will have a spare moment or two as I navigate a tree, if he is up to date with all brush, log and rake related duties then I wont mind if the phone comes out for a few brief moments. If I was running a larger crew then I would be making it an official rule to be enforced by fines maybe $10 per incident etc to come from the pay

Sure, when on Break and Lunch.

If they are riding in the truck and not the person supporting the driver with navigation, extra eyes, and it doesn't interfere with the getting ready to be ready to jump out of the truck and guide the driver in at the jobsite upon arrival.

During work time, it can go with hookers and blow, ridiculous to have on the jobsite, unless the person is only a knuckle-dragging brush puller/ raker, and there is nothing else for them to do (clean air filters, sharpen saws, clean the truck).

Its funny cultural thing were there are a lot of types that hide their phone under the desk or piece of paper on the desk or other "fake" work by people paid by the hour.

Do you have a end zone dance planed out yet?

Naw, not any more man... he's been really good for like three weeks now. He's a really good guy, but.... I just know him: I know he'll start jumping on that thing more and more, and wasting more time. ....Then..... He'll be down the road.

When it comes to work, gotta keep it on the up and up. Especially if you're the cutter/climber. Have some joker dragging ass on his phone so that you can help him do more of his job too after you've done the skillful part. SnappO time!

No Phones.

Sure, when on Break and Lunch.

If they are riding in the truck and not the person supporting the driver with navigation, extra eyes, and it doesn't interfere with the getting ready to be ready to jump out of the truck and guide the driver in at the jobsite upon arrival.

During work time, it can go with hookers and blow, ridiculous to have on the jobsite, unless the person is only a knuckle-dragging brush puller/ raker, and there is nothing else for them to do (clean air filters, sharpen saws, clean the truck).

Its funny cultural thing were there are a lot of types that hide their phone under the desk or piece of paper on the desk or other "fake" work by people paid by the hour.

No Sean: I'm not talking about breaks. Last month we did this monstrous, disgusting Laurel hedge--up hill drag, the whole nine yards. Man, that job sucked. So he stuck his phone in his pocket, and I caught him--when we were super hard-pressed to get the stuff out--dinking around on it.

Today, we did a 150+ Firpig, and he was super into the job--it took two guys to chip a single Fir limb--so, of course he didn't mess with the phone. But they're not all like that (the jobs) ya know.... Some jobs are really tedious, and just suck, but we still need guys who are gonna work.

Words of advice I received from a successful man. Successful in the couple hundred million sense.
"When you cant bring yourself to fire a man, your business is doomed. Also, when you seek to fire men, your business is equally as doomed"

When it comes to work, gotta keep it on the up and up. Especially if you're the cutter/climber. Have some joker dragging ass on his phone so that you can help him do more of his job too after you've done the skillful part. SnappO time!

No Phones.

Man, Justin: I probably drag more brush than any 40+ year old climber I know.

Words of advice I received from a successful man. Successful in the couple hundred million sense.
"When you cant bring yourself to fire a man, your business is doomed. Also, when you seek to fire men, your business is equally as doomed"

So if you ever hire someone who doesn't work out, your biz is doomed? How'd he get rich, lotto?

Some people are just addicted to their phones. Therefore phones have no place in our workplace.

I have a phone at work, that I check(as the owner) at lunch, once a day. If there's something pressing I'll make a call otherwise I return all calls at the end of the production day. If someone else needs a phone for something pressing they're welcome to use mine at an appropriate time. If they are needed to be contacted due to some kind of emergency their family/friends are welcome to call my phone. Otherwise I pay gate to gate and I'm not paying someone to be on their phone. Leave it in your truck or don't bring it.

If I'm somehow miraculously not going to be on a production day myself, I have a spare cell for emergencies that I send with the crew.

Simple. No personal phones on company time.

So if you ever hire someone who doesn't work out, your biz is doomed? How'd he get rich, lotto?

No. I said, word for word, that if you cant bring yourself to fire someone, you are doomed. Most of who we hire don't work out. Its when we cant find the stomach to address failure employees that we are in trouble.

Made his money starting Level 3 Communications. Look it up. My uncle. Resigned a few years ago.

Our companies are only as strong as the team. If the team is seriously compromised, the business follows. The quote I threw out there simply means you have to know when its time to rid yourself of what is compromising your company.

During the telecom boom, they hurried up and strung fiber optic cable around the globe. Concocted a way to drive the price down for the end user.

It wasn't a good idea in the typical sense. Many companies wanted to do the same thing. They had the right investors on wall street and the right business approach.

Back