Double cat rescue

bstewert

TreeHouser
Yesterday I got a cat rescue call around 5:30 pm, after driving in thick traffic for an hour to drop someone off at the airport. Nothing unusual, except it was TWO cats in the same tree. Well OK, that's pretty unusual. They were brothers, and had been up about 40' for three days.

It was 102° outside, and I was on the same side of town as the rescue, but my gear was at home on the other side of town. Driving in rush hour traffic back to get my gear, just to drive all the way back, and then still have to drive home didn't sound like fun. This would be a good one to pass up on, I thought.

The cats will be allright, I told the lady. Let's wait until the morning. Or, you could call someone else on the cat rescue site. No, she didn't want to wait, and she had already called several other people on the list, plus some tree companies. OK, it will have to be a night rescue, and it will cost extra. She gave me the address.

I arrived a little before 9:00 pm. The was a cluster of these 60-70' juniper-looking trees about 5-10' apart, with tons of dead branches intertwined amongst each other. Thankfully, they had a 24' ladder set up already, so I didn't have to deal with throwline. They had also moved a 9' trampoline underneath. One cat is in this tree, the lady said, and the other is over here in this tree. And one cat is black.

They were at about 40' cuz I could see their eyes light up with my helmet headlight. The black cat went to the top, and I was able to get a couple of pics before putting him in the bag. When I was able to get over to the other tree thru the mess of dead branches, that cat (still about 40') went out on a limb and blended in with the dead foliage. Never got a pic. I had another rope sent up, set up a double crotch system, and started heading out to the tip. All of a sudden there was a big SPLAT sound. The cat jumped, hit the center of the trampoline and took off.

P1000501.jpg

P1000502.jpg

Phenomenal story!...A two-fer.....and in those scratchy pisifera....(it looks like)

I left Portland Wed afternoon and it was hot then. Seattle's two hottest days were Th and Friday, at about 93-95. I figured you'd be scorching down there. Today's much cooler weather was a welcome break. My nephew was happy too, as he and his team did that 121 mile bike race with 12,500 feet of elevation gain and miles of off road. He's whipped, he said!

I saw a lot of folks at the ITCC. Were you there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I was there. Darn, would have liked to meet.

I don't know what you call this tree, but we have one in our driveway. I tried to keep up with knocking off the scrubby dead stuff, but it's hopeless. Provides good shade, so I've been reluctant to cut it down.

What's weird, as hot as it was, by the time I got home around 11:00 pm it was 68°.

Personally, I think it is asking a bit much to want someone to climb trees at night. Pretty indulgent of the homeowner, to my way of thinking. Let the cats suffer a bit, rather than want to endanger someone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd have refused to do it at night. How high did that cat bounce ???

That's funny! He did a full layout with a half twist!

I never saw him hit, but the owner did. Depending on the tree and other factors, and if I can set up my 500w halogen, I have no problem going up at night. This is the 6th one for me.

For every actual rescue I get about 3-4 calls. Half of those come early evening, which would make it a night rescue. I usually tell the owner just to wait another day. When I don't hear back, I figure it came down. Sometimes they are overly worried about the cat, sometimes the cat is driving them nuts with crying. Like this one on Monday, where the tree was outside the guys bedroom window and the cat was crying all night long.

IMG_1310.jpg

You could specialize in it. Get a rifle that shoots a tranquilizer dart and has a night vision scope. Regulate the dosage to be effective until the next day. Have a net ready too after the shot. No head shots.

I got a call a while back for a Ferel cat in a tree. It was only about thirty foot in this oak, but when I saw it I said, "great a Siamese" Always unpredictable. So I swing a throw line above him to set a rope and his head whips around fixated on the ball. I wasn't in the crotch I want so I slowly pulled the ball back down and re threw. This time I got the crotch I wanted but the line was over a couple limbs and dangling out 5' from the trunk and level with the cat swinging back and forth.

You probably know where this story is going and yes, being a dumb ass Siamese he went for it!!! and like you have heard so many squirls splat on the ground before, this was no different... from 30' the cat hits the pavement and takes off.The little crowd that was there says, OMG !!! except it wasn't Gosh !....I laughed under my breath as my groundman did too. That was the easiest cat removal I have ever done.

The next week was a totally different story. Cat just about took off my hand. Bit down right to the bone...

You could specialize in it. Get a rifle that shoots a tranquilizer dart and has a night vision scope. Regulate the dosage to be effective until the next day. Have a net ready too after the shot. No head shots.

You don't really want a cat passed out in the tree. Bounce off every limb on the way down. There is a State trapper here that tranqs lions with an estimated dosage to make them woozy. Then he climbs up the tree while they are swaying and slips a foot loop over a hind leg so his ground crew can lower them out.

Bear climb well too, I took the first pic at full zoom, he was in the small wood

Attachments

• DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 4
Bears are gifted climbers, especially the Asian bear, which has the longest claws for that purpose. Acorns and Oak leaves provide most of their diet. Never have seen one, just their evidence, lots of it.

I wish I had kept that photo that a Treehouser took of a mountain lion closed in by his dogs. It's a defining photo.

It's a great photo, but the third dog from the top, his body language is saying, "You guys take care of it, I'm just tagging along".

I would love to see a mountain lion.
It is the only large North American predator that I never have come across.

Back