Single vs double fishermans?

802climber

TreeHouser
I was wondering if there's an advantage to using a double fishermans for eye to eyes, lanyards, etc. I have always used a single fishermans to terminate my climb line if it doesn't have a spliced eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always use 2 but that is the way I was talt!!
Never thought about one,but what do I know?Im shore others will chime in

All climb lines and lanyards spliced here, but if I were to need to knot, it would be first choice anchor, second, scaffold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow. When I said single fishermans, it looks like I am actually referring to a double overhand knot... Glad I asked.

What are acceptable termination knots for an e2e split tail then? Only double fishermans?

Either I don't understand or we need to talk the same language.:)

Again, knowing the terminology is helpful when it comes to knots. One knot used to terminate E2E cords is called a scaffold knot, which is one half of the double fisherman's knot. A scaffold knot is fine on most kinds of cordage, climbing lines for sure.

Some hitch cords, like Ocean Vectran or Armor Prus, are made with a core of high modulus (low stretch) fibers. For ropes with this kind of core, it is recommended that you add another turn, making making 1/2 of a triple fishermans knot. The core on these ropes can be pulled thru a scaffold knot under extreme loads, but not with the additional wrap.

This really shouldn't matter for E2E cords because you aren't applying crazy load to the knot, but I on those specific ropes I tie the third wrap for extra security/ peace of mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! Seems I just can't get my terminology straight.

To make things a little clearer, I think ruel means half of a double fisherman's bend.

Back