does anybody use a pantin whilst wearing hooks???

Dang putting your spurs on in the tree? I've had one mess up a few times and have had a hell of a time setting it straight. Don't think I'd ever choose to put them on up there. Maybe I'm not flexible enough?

Also it depends on what style footwear you use for spurclimbing.
Since I started climbing in Wesco lineman's boots for spur work, it is so much easier to put the spurs on.
That big cowboy boot style heel makes a big difference.

I've done that a few times Stig, found myself doing it a lot more since I've made the full switch over to SRT work positioning. Lately, depending on the tree, I'll even forgo the spurs until I get down to trunk wood because I can move just as fast, if not faster, without the spurs climbing SRT/rope wrench.

just today i was working in a big fir tree, i used my new pantine to srt up to the first limbs then i sat there and scratched my head over how to proceed to the top. why didn't i even think of having my spikes sent up? brain fart i guess:|:. i just ended up throwing my climbline ahead of me drt (what im most comfortable with). i think, in the future, having my spikes sent up to me after ascending makes a lot of sense.

Dang putting your spurs on in the tree? I've had one mess up a few times and have had a hell of a time setting it straight. Don't think I'd ever choose to put them on up there. Maybe I'm not flexible enough?

Never had the problem. But I am pretty picky about my TIP and landing (limb) to do so.
The Wraptor has changed all that BTW.

I dont find it all that difficult. When I put them on when on the ground, I always stick the gaff into the base of the tree for the final snug of the lower strap. It helps get them just right.

Sure takes some of the frustration out of planning climbs :drink:
Multiple ascents? No Problem...Have to set block.. No Problem... Retrieve block... NP.. Oppps FS stuck... NP.... Gaffs or gaff less. NP...
Last time it came off the truck... Shot in a high TIP and wore my gaffs. TIP was in the part of the tree we were saving, I rappelled down to the leaning POS we had to kill... NP... :D
Loving it!
I think you owe it to yourself :)

Back