does anybody use a pantin whilst wearing hooks???

Nope. Tried but was never comfortable with either it's position - (too far forward compared to normal) or the increased possibility of sticking a gaff in my leg.
Perhaps I should have tried harder to make it work, as I am not always the most patient with such things

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
patience is a virtue grasshopper...

I was kinda thinking about wearing it on the outside of my foot and maybe even stepping on that foot with the other, make sense...

Familytree, aka Marc Powell, good guy, it was pretty slick how he just bolted it on. I've thought about it but never really seen the need too.

Nope. Tried but was never comfortable with either it's position - (too far forward compared to normal) or the increased possibility of sticking a gaff in my leg.
Perhaps I should have tried harder to make it work, as I am not always the most patient with such things

I was more worried about my rope than my leg the one time I tried it. Took it right off and said the heck with it.

That's the way it strikes me, Stephen, but only by a small margin :).

I can't think of a single time doing so would have been beneficial. I don't mix climbing rope with climbing wood, that way anyhow.

I preferred Gerrys method he used on that two tie in dead as hell pine video. Pantin on one foot to aid with pulling the climbing ropes for positioning, gaff on the other just for helping his placement at the spar.

Aw, c'mon Paul, why not just leave the Pantin in the truck and spike up the rope? What you want with a Pantin anyway...can't afford a Wraptor?:lol:

I've done it several times to avoid the first 30-50 feet or so of heavy vine in a tree bid for removal. The pantin doesn't react exactly the same, but it is an excellent aid. After the vine the spikes do their job as intended and the pantin is not in the way.

I've always figure there would be a way to make a quick release for the pantine to mount on a spur frame. But the issue with gaffing my leg kept me from following through. Some years later a friend from San Diego sent me a climbing spur with a quick release point. Then you could quick change the spur with the pantine. But I thought Na, it wouldn't be practical.

I guess Husabud and I are kindred souls...I have used the pantin several times with spikes...just put the pantin on last. I did try to stay aware of possibly gaffing the other leg but no problems so far.

There have been a few times when I had to descend 15-25 feet to assist with a limb being lowered that got hung somehow. The pantin made it easy to return to the work area up higher.

If I've got spurs on, I think just gaffing back up would be easier still...but I dunno everything, that's for sure.

I just SRT up, then have my groundie send up the spurs.
Mostly if I have to get above ivy or climb an oak totally covered in watersprouts.
It doesn't take but a couple of minutes to put your spurs on in a tree, once you're comfortably tied in.

I cannot seem to get my spurs as tight in the tree as on the ground. So I use my frog system to get above the vines then put it away. The pantin is never a problem after that. I am very aware of gaffing myself and have used the rubber hose caps in the past just remove them when I get to where I am going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im just trying to see how working off of an SRT system could benefit me the most, most of my climbing is done with spurs on. Im not interested in tree access as I have a Wraptor but just working the tree in general. Mrs is sick as a dog today so I have the kids so not too much in advancing my system today......

Back