Do you keep a knife on your saddle ?

3841c5f97bb236a5bd82c765efbe8736.jpg
i have been keeping this with me aloft,2nd one,I struggle fo find a good place to put it,maybe it's time for lil pouch but seems like it would always be getting caught on branches. It has a whistle in the handle,i put a loop thru that hole and clip it in my saddle n choke it back w the cord,not too convenient,especially if I were rushed...

Can't even leave the house without my knife got them everywhere just in case car truck tool box wife's key chain can never have enof. Extremely happy with my latest Gerber great brand. I hav e noticed for cutting rope a knife with shorter saw teeth seems cut like buter uposed to getting hung up a little on the beging of the cut . stay sharp

I have a locking petzl on my harness in the UK. I also have a climbing setup in Norway which has a locking Gerber on it. Very sharp knife both of them and they don't cut anything but rope. They are meant to be sharp so they stay sharp.

I have hacked the sleeves of a few tee shirts over the years with them though.

Has anyone got an opinion about the Petzl. Spatha? I'm personally not pleased with it, I could have gotten a much nicer knife for the same price or less. IMHO, I think it's a piece of junk! The big selling point is that it doesn't weigh much, but I'd rather have a substantially higher quality blade other than this toy.. Any other opinions from fellow climbers that have one of these?

Dave6390 in WI

I don't have one but for the $18 or $19 price I seen on the web, I cannot imagine getting a much nicer knife for $18. I expect a decent knife to be AT LEAST $30 and usually closer to $100.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I ran a paracord loop through the eye of the handle so I can clip it to my harness or put it in my pocket and have a loop to grab with gloves on. It's also got 1/2 serrated and 1/2 razor sharp blade. It goes through 13 mm with 2 swipes, literally!

Back