Cutting question(idea from Gerry's DVD set)

A particularly dangerous wood to a climber that does not understand it.

While we're on the subject I have to say there is a very valuable database of knowledge available on the internet on this subject. Though it has yet to be complied.

Here is a good chance to gather input from climbers, fallers, millers and furniture craftsman to pool their knowledge of species wood fiber characteristics.

It can turn out to be a wonderful thing and shorten the learning curve for many in either profession.

And it can begin here, in the Tree House.

What say Ye all?

An outline to begin with. I'll draw one up and with Butch's permission start a new topic category.

Jerry, I read Jay's post and was just thinking about how many hundreds, even thousands of years of experience and knowledge we all have here. And all of it readily available for the asking, with no jealousy or bitterness or one-upsmanship. Just a bunch of folks with an incredible pool of combined knowledge.
:)

Jerry, you have carte blanche to do anything you want here, brother.

If I died tomorrow, I'd will the TreeHouse to YOU.

Well, it's up to Butch to format the site for the topic, and I''ll draw up an outline for the branches of input from each others aspects and points of views.

Nothing to lose and all to gain. It can become very enlightening to say the least.

I'm a little late on the post reply, Butch. That's a very magnanimous offer. thank you.

And although I might be able to manage a single topic thread, I surely could never manage a House-full as well as you.

Bring it on for us to share and others to learn...

glad to have access to so many who know what they are doing and have experienced so many things I could not, in ten lifetimes, glad that its willingly shared. :)

Great idea Gerry, I'd be more than happy to add what I know about some of the tropical species.

I've thought about trying to add a new section to each species' wikipedia page called 'wood properties' or something like it.

I've thought about trying to add a new section to each species' wikipedia page called 'wood properties' or something like it.

That's along the same idea and would be a great resource to draw from. We could get the ball rolling here with input from everyone across the nation about the wood characteristics of the species in their local and others that they are familiar with.

Regardless of species there's other variable factor in wood characteristics too, like age and rings per inch, strength of vertical grain verses flat grain. Standardized testing could quantify a lot of the results. Though I really don't have any measuring equipment. But some studies I'm sure have already been done. Will have to do some searching I guess.

That's along the same idea and would be a great resource to draw from. We could get the ball rolling here with input from everyone across the nation about the wood characteristics of the species in their local and others that they are familiar with.

Regardless of species there's other variable factor in wood characteristics too, like age and rings per inch, strength of vertical grain verses flat grain. Standardized testing could quantify a lot of the results. Though I really don't have any measuring equipment. But some studies I'm sure have already been done. Will have to do some searching I guess.

Also in considering species, time of year with a particular species will be a factor in how wood fiber reacts.

Being it doesn't get so cold on the coast could lead to different results for sure, compared to where it freezes.

That is out of my realm. Who knows anything about frozen wood behavior?

Lots of guys here know about frozen wood behavior. Burnham and Skwishey would be two of the names near the top of my list to ask about frozen wood if I needed to know.

That's what is so cool about this place. The body of knowledge extends so far beyond what can easily be quantified and categorized. Each of us knows so many things that we can't just list on a piece of paper, but if somebody asks then we can pull up little tidbits that might help contribute to an answer.
:)

I was even thinking summer vs. winter in regards to the tree pumping water as well as frozen wood. Our Bigleafs and Alders here behave differently in winter, much more prone to blowing up when cut.

Thanks, Dave

Just keep telling me more and I will copy and paste this info into an archive for posting later after it's all edited.

And any info offered or submitted here the contributor will be credited.

Dave makes a valid point.

There are a a multitude of factors that can cause variable response to inputs from a sawyer in any one tree. I think this idea of Jer's is a good one, but we all have to understand that at best we would be documenting generalities.

On any one day a specific tree can behave completely out of character to it's species' usual response.

A generalized scale that compares/ranks species to others could be drawn up and would be a good jumping off point for those working with an unfamiliar species. For example a few common local species, I'm sure that some positions would be subject to opinion and individual tree:

Strength of Hingewood at stump:

best

Sitka Spruce
Douglas-fir
Western Hemlock
Western Redcedar
Bigleaf Maple
Red Alder
Cottonwood

worst

Propensity to Barberchair

most likely

Red Alder
Bigleaf Maple
Cottonwood
Western Redcedar
Western Hemlock
Douglas-fir
Sitka Spruce

least likely

There is a fine text, "Understanding Wood", by Hoadley. It's a scientist's
documentation on wood properties. I have it, just need to find it, as it's been awhile since I've turned the pages. I'd be interested to see how a wood's technical properties equate with how people find it responds to what they are doing with it. It seems that there are nuances that the science list of characteristics doesn't inform about.

Ah, and it's a starting point to build from.

Thanks for your input, Gord.

And for a start I can offer this;

The Hinging and swinging properties of small limbs(< 2inches) to hang on the best without using a face cut, or line, to hold or swing them naturally. Cut entering diagonally or directly from the side.

The more reliable:

Bishop Pine
Ponderosa Pine
Shore Pine (lodgepole)
Leland Cypress
Bay laural (pepperwood)
Tan Oak

So So:

Hemlock
White fir
Alder
Wax myrtle
Monterey Cypress

Very Poor

Redwood
Douglas fir
Monterey pine
Cottonwood

From my experience the larger limbs of these species will demonstrate increasing less holding qualities due to their extended length, weight and leverage at the crotch union.

Anybody feel differently about my observations please chime in.

Also in considering species, time of year with a particular species will be a factor in how wood fiber reacts.

Absolutely... Heck just Grey pines characteristics from spring to fall is huge here. Not to mention the other native species... Stringy buggers that they are..

Back