Crane tomorrow

I see stuff like that and feel bad because the damage was caused by somebody with a chainsaw and the solution is always to apply more chainsaw.
Same here. Talking about my area, where so-called professionals keep giving the HO what they want and not what the tree needs, it is not only sad. Sometimes it is frustrating.
Very nice tree anyway.

Sometimes I see that it isn't so much what the homeowner wants, but that they are only willing to pay the smallest amount, so they end up with people that will hack through a tree like they are blind. By the time the owner is able to more clearly assess the results..or maybe the damage is a better way to describe, the workers are gone.

I hear you on the fact that they want to spend less. Is hacking a cheap solution? Maybe in the immediate future, not through the years.
You should explain them what are the implications and the future costs of that action.
Problem is that many people just hack the trees not because they can be cheaper compared to others, but only because that is the only way they know. How can you sell a crown reduction if you don't even know what it is?
That is why I blame it on the companies and not on customers, most of the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool tree. Sycamore trees are usually very good at compartmentalizing, although the major decay holes in your pictures all seem to be caused by old cuts. I see stuff like that and feel bad because the damage was caused by somebody with a chainsaw and the solution is always to apply more chainsaw.
I'm curious as to why you think the decay is caused from bad cuts?

The big holes I see are where old cuts were made, usually very large cuts. The tree wasn't able to compartmentalize across the large wound and decay set in, extending down into the trunk.

This one in particular looks like an old topping cut (from decades ago). You can see another old cut down past your left knee on the other trunk.

attachment.php

I'm still learning, I'm amazed at what people can tell from pictures sometimes. My company has been taking care of these trees for a long time but thoes holes have been there even longer. while we were there the other climber was talking about thoes holes as well and the proper way to cut.

That's cool you have a good teacher. I wasn't trying to be critical, just discussing what I observed. Congrats on getting to climb such an awesome specimen. Sometimes I seem to sense a connection with the past when climbing a tree hundreds of years old.

You weren't being critical, I thought it was informative. anyway it was a cool experience to climb these trees, the oak in the back of the house was gonna be cut down years ago to make a mast or something for a boat duuring the civil war. glad they didn't do it. My buddy is comming to visit in may from colorado, I'm gonna take him there to climb. I'll actually have time to enjoy the tree then.

No Butch.

I don't know what all the differences are between london planes and sycamores, but the LP's have a bit of yellow in the bark. I've also never seen an LP as big as a sycamore. There's probably other differences too I just don't know them.

I don't know what all the differences are between london planes and sycamores, but the LP's have a bit of yellow in the bark. I've also never seen an LP as big as a sycamore. There's probably other differences too I just don't know them.

The LPs are a way nicer tree. their leaves are more green but alot of hairs. I think it is a hybrid.

LP is Platanus x hispanica (a hybrid, yes)
Sycamore is Acer pseudoplatanus....

I stand to be corrected, didn't actually get my book out!

I always remember the difference in that sycamore has red petioles and LP doesn't...at least the two I learned in the Uk this was true of (gawd that reads like bad grammar...)

LP is Platanus x hispanica (a hybrid, yes)
Sycamore is Acer pseudoplatanus....

I stand to be corrected, didn't actually get my book out!

I always remember the difference in that sycamore has red petioles and LP doesn't...at least the two I learned in the Uk this was true of (gawd that reads like bad grammar...)

Sycamore is Platanus occidentalis.

Acer pseudoplatanus is Sycamore maple, not to get mixed up with Acer Platanoides ( Norway Maple).

Don't know well London Plane variety. I did a little research on the web and they say it is a cultivar of Platanus Orientalis ( Platanus Acerifolia to be correct).

The London planetree there looks like Plantanus Acerifolia

There are also London Planetree, Plantanus Acerfolia (Varieties,Bloodgood and Yarwood).

Eastern Syc. Also know as Pantanus Occidentalis

And our California Syc. is Plantanus Racemosa

We pretty much have all these species in our neck of woods, but everyone just calls them a Damn Sycamore!..... :lol:

My experience with Sycamore is that it tends to warp a lot if you dry the wood for later use. That was one species in Cali, not sure if the tendency is across the board. I saw inlay out of Sycamore used very attractively in Great Britain.

Yes Jay, your right. It's hard to cure with out warping or checking. I've probably cut down a 100 thousand BF of sycamore( London Plane tree) over the years and 98 % went to fire wood. Not to many want to mill it.

Greg

Back