Crane tomorrow

Page

TreeHouser
finnaly going back to do a little crane work on a big sycamore tomorrow. I can't wait! I just need to remember my camera. not like I'll have to much time to be taking pictures but I'm sure I'll get a few. duffyssyc.jpg

You don't have much experience with cranes? Boom positioning is important in how the pick leaves the cut. It sometimes gets overlooked. Good luck with the job. Looks like the crane can probably snuggle up pretty close and make things easier.

Cranes are all about balance and smooth actions. I had more than one crane operator piss me off by yanking and jerking on the piece before I had it cut. Just be aware and keep yourself out of the swing area.

The Sycamore I'm familiar with has quite smooth bark. Good to choker around something whenever possible so there can be no slip.

Wow, that is a PIG. Wonder why they're removing what must be a quite historic tree like that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Removing it?

Not a removal, that would suck. The company I work for has been caring for these trees a long time. we are just taking some heavy weight out over the house. There is another sycamore on the property that I climbed earlier in the year, that one is pretty big as well. we have an awsome crane operator who does a lot of work with us, we are all used to the way each other works so things will go well I imagine. Giant sycamore5.jpg

Thanks Jay. Do what I can. Tree guys are weird: love trees to death, and love to kill em. :rockon:

Nice London Plane--I don't know if I'd get naked for it.

One thing I'm personally still learning about crane picks, is how much of a pull is required in some cases. I see one more experienced guy will on occasion tell the operator what he wants..sometimes after asking what is available on the longer reaches. Helps eliminate some of the undesirables that Brian mentioned earlier, and some safety measure in it too. That person has experience as an operator himself, so seeing it from both sides definitely seems advantageous. Not the ones you want, but it isn't unheard of for an operator to become complacent.

The sycamore we are doing tomorrow has and old wound in it where a large branch came off. the trunk is hollow and the hole is big enough to fit into.

Not a removal, that would suck. The company I work for has been caring for these trees a long time. we are just taking some heavy weight out over the house. There is another sycamore on the property that I climbed earlier in the year, that one is pretty big as well. we have an awsome crane operator who does a lot of work with us, we are all used to the way each other works so things will go well I imagine.View attachment 40888

Do you guys use Bauman or the Crane Man?

we've worked with rod before, but more often it's steve. It's probably better to stick with the same guy if you can. I geuss, I don't know.

Some operators just have a great touch, and it doesn't seem totally dependent on experience. I don't like the ones where you will be riding the hook and they jerk you to a quick stop for some reason well before your destination, think my blood pressure must shoot up a few notches.

Oak2.jpg Hollow tree1.jpg 300year oak.jpg Dew.jpg Half way.jpg Hollow tree2.jpg
Not the best pictures, but thats ok, the home owner said I can come back to climb and photograph them sometime.

Cool tree. Sycamore trees are usually very good at compartmentalizing, although the major decay holes in your pictures all seem to be caused by old cuts. I see stuff like that and feel bad because the damage was caused by somebody with a chainsaw and the solution is always to apply more chainsaw.

Back