Crane tomorrow

Greg, have you noticed that the wood has a strange texture as well? Pretty dense but spongy at the same time. I have had some luck steam bending it for a chair back, but definitely more problematical than the recognized good bending woods like Oak, Ash, or Beech. Can't exactly remember, but i seem to recall the wood having a less then pleasant smell when worked. Still, the fleck in the grain can be pretty.

Yes Jay, It seems to be more fiberous ( spelling ?) then a lot of other hard woods. It tends to hump periodically through out the board when drying and sometimes wants to fur up when milling.

The older trees tend to have some fiddle back in the lower trunk section and the larger crotches have some really nice feathering. Kind of a pinkish tone to the color. It definitely is beautiful wood, but you just don't seem to see it made into anything very often.

After all the coughing and hacking one endures while cutting it down, you would think more stuff would be made from it, but instead I think tree companies just get revenge and cut it up .....:lol:

The British call Acer pseudoplatanus Sycamore if I'm not mistaken.

That would be a maple to the rest of us.

London plane is Platanus acerifolia.

Trust the Brits to confuse us all.

Jay, Sycamore/plane tree needs to be quartersawn in order to make it stble and bring out the figure.

And old trade name for quartersaws sycamore was " Lacewood" because of the figuring.

Makes a wonderful turning wood for large platters etc.

Back