Crane Accident, No Injuries

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
This happened about three hours ago, and it wasn't on my job. From what I could tell, the pick was way heavy and it flipped. The climber rigged the sling much too low, and the crane operator didn't see it because he said he couldn't see what was going on. Hmmmm. That, combined with (what I think) the boom being too much for the outriggers, caused the accident. This guy just put this crane together a month ago. Those fellas are in a world of hurt right about now.

Attachments

• crane flip 009 (Large).jpg
    crane flip 009 (Large).jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 13
  • crane flip 010 (Large).jpg
    crane flip 010 (Large).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
  • crane flip 012 (Large).jpg
    crane flip 012 (Large).jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 12
  • crane flip 015 (Large).jpg
    crane flip 015 (Large).jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 14
  • crane flip 018 (Large).jpg
    crane flip 018 (Large).jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
YIKES! Those pics look kinda small though....

How can you possibly glean that from the pics I posted? You can't even see the limb, it was on the far side. I believe the crane coulda handled the load IF it wouldn't have flipped. THAT was the straw that broke the camels back.

pics to far away....same dudes that flipped one a year or so ago?

John, are you talking about the crane accident by my house? That guy disappeared and the business folded within a week.

The rear outrigger on the side that it flipped towards doesn't really look like it was extended enough...

I guess that tree just didn't want to get topped after all.

Oh well no injuries and very little damage to the home.
Dont seem all that bad.
I meen its bad , but for what happened id say they got of lucky.

Actually unless there is a lot more damage to the carport than the pictures show. It is a relatively easy repair. Strip shingles replace damaged sheathing, rafters,and ridge beam. Replace the shingles and done.

Good thing it was a 1 story building. It would have sliced through the 2nd floor like butter.

So Ive always been told that the tree co. is responsible for everything from the hook down. So who pays for this mess???

I was doing a poplar behind a house one day and it was getting late. I set the strap and came down to make my cut and give him half of this fair sized lead. The operator told me to cut a couple of feet down to include the other half of the fork, I questioned him as we were REALLY far out and it seemed WAY to big. He said "just cut it". I did. The back of his crane raised 3' off the ground and the pick moved over me and down a bit before it went back up. My wife and groundie both ran over and held onto the back of the crane:|:

I dont listen to no-one else no-more:/:

I agree with Paul, I don't like seeing pictures of things like this. But it does make me always double check and rethink everything before I send it to the crane.

Something doesn't jive with the pictures, Butch. The boom is over extended way past the tree from where the obvious cutting was going on.

Or is there something I'm missing. Is there another tree involved?

Back