Cracked oak

I did not read every post in this thread so if what I am saying has all ready been mentioned....

That tree wasnt hit by lightening. Most of the time a tree takes a hit by lightening there is some discoloration just beneath the bark, with bits of bark missing. You will see this most where it enterd & exited, with bits of bark scatterd about below on the ground.

With this tree being hollow it makes it susceptable to this type of fracture.
If any of you camp & stick it out in a storm,watch the trees. It is nothing short of amazing just how much a tree will twist & rotate during a storm.

Nice vid, Gary. Looks can sure be deceiving, that much healthy appearing crown and so hollow. Nutrients definitely getting up to the top.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Jay...you are right about looks being deceiving. Until I noticed the crack it was just another healthy tree to me.

I've these big oaks around my house sway 10 feet in a high wind .Makes you kinda wonder but they've been doing it a couple hundred years .

That one kind of surprised me with the amount of rot .I've seen them just die on the vine so speak .You cut the things down and even on a 3 footer they are solid as a rock clear through .

Gary, get a hardhat for your groundie, please.
It makes me sick to see someone working around a tree in a cap.

Apart from that, nice work, indeed.

Nice job Gary, especially doing the topping work. You have improved your skills and seem to be mor confident than you were from the last vid I saw of you felling a tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Larry...you are right. I do feel more confident in the tree, very much due to knowledge and support I have gained from TreeHouse folks. It's been a good trip.

Back