Copma 140.5 Knuckleboom

Mike,

That looks like a great investment, congrats! Can you share some about the experience buying it. Trucks and motors arent my strong suit so if I was buying something like that I would be clueless.

Did you more or less know what you wanted? Did you consider anything else? What kind of options did Timberland provide you with? Did you have to find a used chassis or did they?

Sorry to hit you with so many questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike,

That looks like a great investment, congrats! Can you share some about the experience buying it. Trucks and motors arent my strong suit so if I was buying something like that I would be clueless.

Did you more or less know what you wanted? Did you consider anything else? What kind of options did Timberland provide you with? Did you have to find a used chassis or did they?

Sorry to hit you with so many questions!

To be honest Nick, when we were looking I didn't even consider a Hino, Jack at Timberland convinced us and it has 260 hp, which is 30 more than the comparable international. Jack found the chassis for us, it was purchased from Erie, PA. When we were first looking I wanted a freightliner or international but the Hino's are suppose to be just as reliable with more power. It drove great on the 8 hour trip home. I cruised at 65mph all the way up rt 81. My experience with Jack was great. We had tons of questions for him and he always answered all of them. There are no options on the kboom we bought. We wanted to get the wireless remote but that option was a $10,000 and we just didn't want to spend that. The winch line option was close to $10,000 as well, but that option was definitely out. You can get a bucket attachment for this boom for a mere $15,000 as well :O Although we just have topseat controls on the kboom it will still be smooth and easy to run.

Here are some pictures from today, all of our picks were VERY conservative. We are just starting to get the hang of the kboom and didn't want to get crazy with weight. The last picture posted we were able to take the tree in 1 piece.
IMG_1805.jpg [/ATTACH] IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1811.jpg IMG_1813.jpg IMG_1815.jpg

Great pictures Mike! I hope the KB is everything you guys hoped for it looks sweet. Are you loving it?

I would think that some Amsteel 2 Slings (3/4" 37,200 lb mbs - 1" 60,600 lb mbs) attached to your 'hook' with dead eyes would work well. I think using a dead eye sling would be perfect because you could easily set the length with a cow hitch. The benefits seemingly, that you could easily get the load close to the hook when needed making full advantage of the maximum reach; and when using two choke points you dont need to worry about sling length or proximity to the hook.
http://www.ashleysling.com/amsteel-2-plus-coated-rope.htm

Cow hitch would also be really easy to remove on the ground and doesnt have durability issues.

it looks like you are using Tuflex Slings with a shackle? I have a small amount of experience with those and they are obviously perfectly adequate.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Eye-to-Eye-slings/Tuflex-Eye-and-Eye-Sling

Great pictures Mike! I hope the KB is everything you guys hoped for it looks sweet. Are you loving it?

I would think that some Amsteel 2 Slings (3/4" 37,200 lb mbs - 1" 60,600 lb mbs) attached to your 'hook' with dead eyes would work well. I think using a dead eye sling would be perfect because you could easily set the length with a cow hitch. The benefits seemingly, that you could easily get the load close to the hook when needed making full advantage of the maximum reach; and when using two choke points you dont need to worry about sling length or proximity to the hook.
http://www.ashleysling.com/amsteel-2-plus-coated-rope.htm

Cow hitch would also be really easy to remove on the ground and doesnt have durability issues.

it looks like you are using Tuflex Slings with a shackle? I have a small amount of experience with those and they are obviously perfectly adequate.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Eye-to-Eye-slings/Tuflex-Eye-and-Eye-Sling

Thanks Nick! The crane is definitely sweet! We only have about 6 hours of run time on it this week. My dad and I both got the flu so we didn't really do much this week. But so far so good!

You have good eyes, they are tuflex slings with shackles on the end. Its what I am used to so its what I was using today. I definitely want to try out those amsteel 2 slings. They seem really slick! Do you know anyone who splices the amsteel 2's?

David Driver from Treebuzz has a reel of it and one of his guys does it, I read about it on tread over there. AdamP here on Treehouse told me he could do it for me if I got him the rope, no reason he couldnt do it for you...

Beware though Amsteel2 and Amsteel 2 + have 'special' splicing directions and require an extra long bury.

Man, that rig is so sweet. What's the maximum extension on the boom? And what is the load capacity at that extension?

David Driver from Treebuzz has a reel of it and one of his guys does it, I read about it on tread over there. AdamP here on Treehouse told me he could do it for me if I got him the rope, no reason he couldnt do it for you...

Beware though Amsteel2 and Amsteel 2 + have 'special' splicing directions and require an extra long bury.

Cool thanks for the info Nick!
Man, that rig is so sweet. What's the maximum extension on the boom? And what is the load capacity at that extension?

Max extension is between 65-68 ft. Load capacity depends on the radius as well. Fully extended and fully horizontal it is close to 1000 pounds. If you are fully extended up it is close to 2000 pounds. (Don't quote me on those numbers though I don't have the load chart completely memorized yet!) And thanks for the compliments!

Sorry guys I have been slacking! We have been using it everyday and we are still getting the hang of running it. It is awesome so far. I won't be using it today but I will try and get some pictures for you guys tomorrow!

Who was that guy over at TB who had a remote controlled crane like that? He'd put himself in the tree, then cut and make the lift himself, RC. Anyone rememebr him?s

Back