Considering Timberwolf TW6...

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
I need input guys. Ive got an outstanding demand for firewood and it is growing each year. I have an almost endless supply. With that in mind, I dont have an unlimited supply of time. Soooooooo, I want to start punching out a lot more wood than i do now. The catch is, a typical Home depot splitter isnt going to give me the volume Im after, and a full size processor isnt the route I want to go for several reasons.

I think the TW6 looks like the way to go. has anyone used one? what sort of volume can they put out in a day with 2 guys operating/feeding it? Are there any other comparible brands/models that hold up well and generate a lot of wood? And no, not to be a jerk but Im not looking for stories and/or designs for homemade units. Nothing against them, but thats not my gameplan.

Gimme some ideas gents!

Here's an idea...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bVAAx3mMKY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bVAAx3mMKY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Cant seem to remember which one the boss had (Tw4 or Tw6) but I do know he and we wanted to go with the faster cycle time cylinder. Great machine built to last. Me and one other could put out three one ton loads whith the chip box on and filled to the gills. and that was with the one person being gone to deliver. if you have a hill and make a chunk shute all the more. conveyors are a big big time and backsaver.

I have a tw5 thats been great, just fixed a leak yesterday. I have not ran it all day but it's a work horse. 10 cycle times, log lift, 4 way wedge. If I was buying new I would think about the tw6 with 6 way wedge or the tw7, conveyor is a must for real production

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a conveyor so we are good there. You think a TW6 could put out 5 cord in a full work day with 2 guys staying right at it and not leaving? Medium sized wood too. Im talking 12-20" diameter wood.

Ok, maybe easy isn't the right word as theres not much easy about firewood, but definately do able!

4 and 6 way wedge, log lift, and auto-cycle all feeding a conveyor and you'll do just fine.

We operate a tw-6 with table grate, log lift and conveyor and it works out well. Things I would change or add would be reenforcing the wedges (4 and 6 way). We broke both the first year and it was covered under the warranty. I would also like the conveyor and the splitter hitched together so we could pull the whole set up forward when the pile gets too high instead of one at a time. It has been a solid machine and I would recommend it. Good luck with your purchase.

It seems to me that we split 71/2 -8 cords in 5 or 6 hours year ago this fall .But that was 4 men splitting ,one cutting to size out of a huge pile , two tipable splitters .So if two can get 5 cords in a full day that's not too shabby .

I can get two a day by myself but mine is stacked nice and neatly not tossed in a big heap .

Agreed though,commercial use not a bad shot, personal use pricey .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Al, I do have an outlet to sell the wood. I sell quite a mess of it to begin with but I turn away threee quarters of folks that cll because I simply cant produce enough. As far as my 5 cords a day question, no, I wont sell that much each and every day. But I also wont be splitting each and every day. I wan to make sure when I do commit a weekend to the machine that it will earn its keep.

Here is one I have seen in oporation as well. one person operation, dont know a cost but worth checking out IMO.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8s9kwdiZ-9E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8s9kwdiZ-9E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That guiotine is nuts. cleaner wood without it coated in saw chips to get stuck on the wood until it gets brought into the house. no saw chip waste, cleanup, or disposal.

Well that feat of engineering might be hunky dory for little green cut pecker poles but it wouldn't cut the mustard on 3 feet diameter oak .

I've seen the big TW's in operation at several forestry shows and they do put out the wood no doubt .Soooooo it's a matter of if you could justify the cost of the machine or several smaller and hire the help .

Tom has the bright idea of a big machine and I imagine if past history holds true I'll have to put on my design hat once again .Lawdy he mentioned using a bucket truck main lift cylinder he's going to salvage from a set of old booms .That's like 7 or 8 inch with about a 3 or 4" shaft .

Yes it would . I have a huge old Vickers self contained hydraulic unit with a 20 HP three phase motor ,industrial salvage . That thing has a 2 inch pressure outlet ,adjustable to 3,000 PSI ,120 gallon tank . However to replace that electric motor with a gasser and get the same power it would take at least 60 HP .Not real practical I would think .Besides a high volume pump and lots of engine to drive it,it also would require a large control valve not to mention large lines . I'm a thinken he'd be better off with ten dollar an hour help .--or pony up the money and get something like this TW as mentioned .

This is a bit smaller and a simpler idea Joel, just some more ideas for you.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hl7wm89PMmE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hl7wm89PMmE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back