Considering Timberwolf TW6...

We have a guy come in with a small blockbuster processor. It likes very straight stuff no bigger than maybe 16". Anything squirrelly causes trouble. I saw a few really clever things on that chomper (or whatever they are calling it these days). There is a machine shop near here that uses a lot of wood to heat their huge building. They get all the 3-4 foot maple butts from the line clearance companies. They have a 20 ton excavator with a stiff arm thumb. The owner took a six foot piece of road grader blade and put a knife edge on it in the surface grinder and they break down the huge nasty butt logs with that, then finish on a small hydraulic splitter.

I saw a processer at the Paul Bunyan show several years ago that cost 80 grand .Good grief now just who could afford something like that .???

Many if not most folks on this forum sell firewood as a residue of take down work not cut pecker poles from the woods .As such a processer for these people would kind of be a waste of good money because the stuff is pretty well chunked up anyway as a rule .

And a lot of it is crooked stuff that a processor wouldn't like anyway. I hate seeing potential timber being cut young for firewood. We have a guy around here that does "forest management". He manages to cut any tree down to about 10" dia.

Early last spring they cleared about 20 acres of woods for of all things Wal-Mart . Now that's a situation where perhaps a processer would work .However believe it or not every single stick of wood was ground up,not even the good lumber trees were salvaged .I mean in about 3 weeks not a single remainent of that woods was left .

Tucker, did you ever buy a TW6? Anyone have a good guess what 2 motivated workers could put out an hour with one of these? 18-30+Wood? Already cut into rounds, just roll them to the machine,lift, split?

I was going to make a new thread but found this older one. Looks like they're up to $12000 now...

Last edited:
Not finding them Nick. Kinda thinking about one also. I'm putting out about 50 cord a year with a tsc splitter. Would like to do a bit more but really would like to knock it out faster so I can do some more camping and fishing

I get a number of requests for firewood, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to supply the customers with the length of firewood they'd prefer. Some guys want it cut 16" long, while others who use those outdoor burners would like it cut to 30" in length. I guess I'd need to make separate piles and put up signs indicating the length of firewood in each pile? It would be nice to know how the firewood suppliers handle this problem.

Joel

This will be our third year with a TW-5. All I can say is it's one firewood splitting monster.

My Dad and I can load the trailer like the pic in about 1/2 hour.

Ed

Attachments

• s1.JPG
    s1.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 76
  • load3.jpg
    load3.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 76
When I messed with firewood, it was always 20" unless specified otherwise, which rarely ever happened.

This will be our third year with a TW-5. All I can say is it's one firewood splitting monster.

My Dad and I can load the trailer like the pic in about 1/2 hour.

Ed

You need the 4 or 6 way wedge! The likes of that wood will go through like butter! I rarely take my 4way off the machine.
Could I bother you to take closer pics of the table grate attachment?

I don't have any of the lift....yet.

Ed

Attachments

• g1.JPG
    g1.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 58
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 56
  • g3.JPG
    g3.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 57
  • g4.JPG
    g4.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 58
  • g5.JPG
    g5.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 58
  • g6.JPG
    g6.JPG
    462.5 KB · Views: 58
I get a number of requests for firewood, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to supply the customers with the length of firewood they'd prefer. Some guys want it cut 16" long, while others who use those outdoor burners would like it cut to 30" in length. I guess I'd need to make separate piles and put up signs indicating the length of firewood in each pile? It would be nice to know how the firewood suppliers handle this problem.

Joel

The big suppliers use predecessors, they can set the processor to the length they want and just keep cycling it. I always tried to stay 16-20" lengths, but had a few that specified 24" or otherwise, it was always a pain in the ass to have to make something for them!

I don't customize firewood. You get it how I cut and split it. I do have one customer that gets larger pieces for an outdoor burner but that's easy to do

Thanks for the replies, folks. I have one customer who owns and operates a 5-bay auto body shop. He heats his building with an outdoor wood boiler, which is about 100 feet behind the building, in a large open lot. His boiler is a monster, capable of holding logs up to 4 feet in length.......but it's a real chore to load the boiler when the logs weigh too much, so he prefers a slightly shorter length.

If I could find a firewood processor capable of making 36" logs, I might be interested in purchasing one. I've not yet found a factory model capable of producing firewood at these longer lengths.

Thanks for the great pictures of the firewood processors.

Joel

Back