Cold showers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No ice needed for 5 of 12 months, and ice dunks don't cause lung cancer

Cold hurts is right.
I went out for day three and had to harness my inner Goggins and told myself “don’t be a bitch!” Seemed a bit easier. I don’t know if the temp was up a few degrees or if I’m getting used to it or just embracing the suck. No matter, I’m feeling good and am alert. I’m using my time off to get into this so I can continue it when I have to work. I might have to wake up a bit earlier though.

There ya geaux, you guys! :dude:

Gotta love Goggins:dude:

I've been going in more than usual during this holiday break.

You old-timers all remember Brendan a member here, he's into it now too, got a tub a few weeks ago:dude:

His wood system is rad

There's a moment in this video about the coldest place on Earth where it shows the man and boy of the the family showering after heating a bath house for an entire day, resulting in a 158 dgree F indoor temperature, which is 248 degrees F (yes, you read that correctly) colder than the outside temperature, which is -90 F. It shows them emerging from the steam room of their bath house, out into the open elements, and bathing one another in freezing cold snow. It explains that they do this because the transition between extremely hot and extremely cold have many health benefits, including "increased circulation and invigoration of the body."

If you aren't inclined to watch the entire documentary, watch from the 6 minute point, and you'll see the scene to which I am referring.

If the natives of the coldest place on Earth, Yakutia, Siberia, Russia, think it's healthy, after eons of experimentation, then I'm definitely sold.

But the question no one asks is "Are they actually more healthy, and live longer"? I hear all these amazing diets, and lifestyle routines, and the people die the same as everyone else, and at the same time. Once you get past move your ass, and don't eat like a hippo, there isn't much room for improvement.

move your ass, and don't eat like a hippo,
Excellent point. Afaik, exercise is by far the single most important factor re long, active, life span. Diet etc comes later.

Going out on a limb here, I'd say cold plunging is a form of exercise. It definitely uses physical energy and gives a mental boost. And lotta folks who seem to have a scientific bent to them, unlike myself, say it improves lotta blood and health markers. Anti inflammation is probably one of the most significant and important items there.

But the question no one asks is "Are they actually more healthy, and live longer"? I hear all these amazing diets, and lifestyle routines, and the people die the same as everyone else, and at the same time. Once you get past move your ass, and don't eat like a hippo, there isn't much room for improvement.

My point was that this type of cold water emersion CANNOT hurt unless you overly expose yourself to it, resulting in cell damage and hypothermia and frostbite, etc. But nobody involved with this crazy trend is doing this. There is factual evidence to support the claims that cold water emersion is healthy. Period. Just like you want people to move their ass, after they move their ass, they can immerse themselves in cold water to alleviate muscle aches. Professional athletes have been doing it for eons. Nobody is saying "don't do anything healthy except dunk yourself in ice water." It is part of a larger dynamic of as many PROVEN healthy behaviors as you can add to your routine.

Then you're underestimating the power of the human psyche. There are countless things that we ALL do on a regular basis which make us feel better which either a) have no proven health benefits or b) which have proven benefits but which aren't actually benefitting you. This comes about from the placebo effect. So even if you're doing a health trend which is harmless, but which isn't actually directly making you better physically, your psychological health can still dramatically improve. On average, 33% of people who take placebo in a double blind, controlled study experience symptom relief. Imagine how high it must be for a non-controlled human experience where you are governed by your own biases and preconceptions about any given health trend. So long as what you're doing isn't physically harmful, even if its effects are placebo, there are almost no sound arguments against telling that person to desist from partaking in it so long as it provides a psychological benefit. Any argument that exists would have to be based on a very specialized situation where harm might appear in the future.

Last edited:
Ha gotta love it! I thought you were one of the biggest doubters?!?

Did you dunk in some of that superb, clean, clear, Alaskan salt water?

You've gone full on Wim Hoff craZy!!

Yup. I figure Burnham will be in within the next, oh, let's say 21 days... ;)

Dang, at this rate, 09's cold water baptism is right around the corner;):dude:

btw, just sayin, never do wim hoff breathing while in the water, some folks have blacked out and drowned doing so.

Ha gotta love it! I thought you were one of the biggest doubters?!?

Did you dunk in some of that superb, clean, clear, Alaskan salt water?

You've gone full on Wim Hoff craZy!!

Yup. I figure Burnham will be in within the next, oh, let's say 21 days... ;)
No doubter here friend, just a procrastinator.

This was not in your beloved salt water... just in a fish tote. I was somewhat amazed at my self. Calm the breathing and things warm up,
could have stayed in much longer.

Now might do the polar bear plunge if I'm feeling spunky.

Last edited:
Back