Check this out.-Graehme McMahon

I did that once but it was to move the pieces closer to the truck. I never thought about the reduction in the shock load.

How do they keep the pendulum from swinging back and nailing the tree?:?

Yeah, I'm not really clear on how that's set up. Could someone please explain it a bit more clearly?

He's using two lowering points, which limits the swing, and allows the limb to lower to any spot in between the two points.

Anybody else ever have to guy a tree first before climbing it? I did for the first time this summer. It was big doug fir that had uprooted and then got hung up in a nearby maple. The truly scary part is having to climb the thing first to set the guy lines. It looked like he had a live tree nearby to set his line in though. I bet that job paid pretty well!

i dont know if it was nessasary but i have guyed some trees before or during a climb

i dont know if it was nessasary but i have guyed some trees before or during a climb

Willie, there is a very important point in what you say...if it WAS necessary and you didn't take the precaution you would be telling a very different story.

Sometimes knowing when something is truly necessary is an art as much as a science. When in doubt, do...it takes longer but may be "necessary".

What I sometimes do to guy a dangerous tree that I have to climb and work in is to use my throwline first, then pull my rigging line up into the limbs or target crotch that I'm using to guy. Then I tie a running bowline and pull it up into the tree and anchor it to other trees or ground anchor if necessary.

You can do this for as many guys as you need and then feel alot safer climbing into the tree.

First, I have mixed emotions about posting a personal video in a thread with Graehme McMahon's name in it...he is a master in the rigging field.

But, this simple video does answer Newfie's question...this is how we did it at Katrina. Some of you guys have already seen this.

The first piece was near the end of the spar and was belayed to control the pendulum-y swing. The second piece was in line with the rigging tree...it definitely bonged the anchor tree.

Google video made it pretty splotchy.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8903789416120180719&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Back