Proper swamping/brushing out?

davidwyby

Desert Beaver
Whilst felling in NM a while back we brushed out before felling…not too close to the ground so as to not rock the chain…but now there are all these little tripperstabbers…sometimes it seems it might be better to leave the small stuff?

If I can reach it, it comes off. I'm pretty religious about that rule, seen a few guys get pretty badly hurt, getting snagged or smacked by limbs that shouldn't have been there. I've mentioned all this before, but this time I'll give an example.

My friend Zach was dropping a short bushy Pinion pine into a gully. Standing right on the edge of a steep rocky slope, he cleaned exactly what he had to off of the trunk. Three cuts went fairly smooth, and he ducked in to pop a wedge in and give a few smacks. About the third or fourth lick with the axe, and that twisty buggers hinge snapped as the tree went over.
A little twig, on the end of a small branch, snagged the hood of his sweatshirt. It broke off the branch almost immediately, but in that position, on that slope, it was more than enough.
Zach tumbled down the slope with the pine, at first just behind, but unfortunately the brush made the tree a bit slower than Zach's attempt at a tuck and roll, and he ended up under the sliding, rolling Pinion.
He wasn't under the tree for more than a second or two, before something on the slope changed the trajectory of both entities. In that second or two, Zach was impaled through his left lung, from the back, and his liver and diaphragm from the front.
He also broke two lumbar vertebrae, fractured his pelvis, broke a total of 11 ribs, crushed his zygiomatic arch, which nearly cost him his left eye, and a broken right wrist.
His brother, Luke broke his left ankle trying to run down the 200 foot of near vertical slope to help him, and took a pretty nasty tumble himself.

I had a really good view from about 100-120ft side hill from where Zach was cutting, as did my felling partner Craig, while we caught our breath after a pretty gnarly wedge beating.

It took us way longer to rig them out of the draw, with a Ford tailgate as a stretcher, than it did to drive them to the hospital.

Yes, there was a series of mistakes made, like not having a good escape route, etc. It was still that twig that took him over with the tree.

Moral of the story: Cut everything thing you can reach, because you don't want it reaching you.

I'd say surrounding brush and such is equally important, and still falls into the category of "Cut it if you can reach it, so it can't reach you".

Also, thank you. The only reason I bother typing such long posts on a phukin phone is because everyone here genuinely seems to enjoy them. It's a actually a lot of effort to attempt to paint a picture with words, when my pallet is 2x3 inches.

Hell of a story KM.

Hoodies are problematic safety wise.

Not least because in every street fight I watch on the internet, the guy in a hoodie loses when the other guy pulls it over his head rendering him blind and a sitting target for repeated uppercuts.

I don't like hoods. I kind of like the wad of material behind my neck, but I never wear the hood. I have a Marlboro hoodie I wear climbing in cold weather, but the strings are pretty short. I should probably inspect it, and maybe remove the strings. I don't use them anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m a wordy son of a gun in person, but I don’t type very fast or well or have the patience to. I should tell the mountain lion story though…

I hate hoodies period. Don’t like them hanging on my neck or obstructing my sight or hearing or flapping in my face. Beanies for me. Ain’t got no hair…

Last edited:
Cold weather climbing gear is long underwear(top/bottom), Tshirt, hoodie, and a vest to get started, but usually shed once climbing. That's good for mid-upper 20s. Haven't climbed colder than that.

Hoodie handwarmer pockets are going to get a lot of debris in them, even if the pocket or his don't get caught when chipping.

Hoods don't fit under helmets. I have to tuck my rain hood inside, if I don't want to catch rain, if it doesn't detach or roll into the collar pocket.

The pockets definitely collect chips. I think it's probably worth it, cause they're a really nice place to stash gloves when you have to take them off.

I like to brush off lower limbs, just to keep from getting poked in the eye working around the felling cuts. But @Kaveman 's story brings that to another focus.

For brushing out escape paths from the stump, I like to chainsaw sweep off any brush that will trip, and clear any downed limbs, etc. It can take longer than the felling cuts, at times.

A good path over clear ground is a great safety factor...but don't be so committed to it that you don't watch overhead as you go. I have had to abandon my planned route to get out from under a falling broken out rotten top before...scary thing that was far too close for comfort.

It's always a bad news for me when I hear that "they" cleared the area, being the brushy understory or a hedge turned free. I hate having all these stubs pocking barely out of the dead leaves or the ivy. Barely, until you put a foot on it or hit it during a step. Ouch!
I need to cut them close to the ground all along my path. So my chain needs a filling, even without catching a stone. I'd prefer to cut myself the offending brush. I find that my chain sees less dirt/grit than when chasing the little stumps.

Back