Cat rescue

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 41
  • Views 7K
M

Mr. Sir

What's the going rate for a typical cat rescue? Or is it considered charity work? :?

100 dollar minimum,
includes travel
anything over 1.5 hrs with 1 way travel bills out at reg hourly rate

i had to send a guy to honeydew to get a cat

turned out to be in an old growth fir, way out a limb
climber had to go up close to 150 ft so he could get the right angle to limb walk out to it

why shouldnt it cost the same as anything else does by the hour

besides sometimes you get scratched to hell

Nothing where you have to bring hundreds upon hundred of dollars of equipment, and could possibly be injured or killed, is charity work for me.

$75-125 usually. I've been paid (tipped) double ($200) for a racing the dark, owl watching its dinner in front of the kids and dad, cat rescue. Twice for the same cat about an hours drive I got about $175-200 from a "young entrepreneur" with fancy cars and no apparent job for him or his friends.

I still have to laugh at Tom cutting the limb out from under the cat with a pole saw .He said that cat spread out like a flyng squirrel and kerplopped about 70 feet down and took off like shot out of a cannon .:lol:

Might sound mean but that's what the SPCA said to do if he couldn't reach it .

Yep ! About 75.00 an hour....and the wraptor doesn't seem to bother to much either.

Free, 65, 100Depending on my day/mood/when they called, how annoying they are.

That's about the size of it, eh B? :lol: I've sent one guy and the bucket truck for nowt to a long standing customer. One stupid bint irritated me so much banging on about her 'pussycat' that I had to tell her $500. Cat came down later...... And anyway, watching my Mexican guys trying to pluck pissed off cats out of trees is always amusing.

The SOB's will claw the hell out you ,been there .I vowed I'd never snatch another cat only with a chainsaw,tree and all .:what:

We have a feral cat that shows up pretty regular. My stepson went in the barn. The cat was on the end of the barn, way up on a hay stack. It thought jumping out the window was its best option. About 30 feet, and landed on a tin gable roof. No problems, he is still around. Doomass.

People might say I'm an old meany with cats but most times I like them .Cats are pretty tough though and I always figured if the damned thing could get up a tree it certainly should be able to get down .

Yep ! About 75.00 an hour....and the wraptor doesn't seem to bother to much either.

Burnham, yes it's been a while. I just have to give myself break now and again from forums. Everything is going just dandy, how about yourself ?

Oooops been to long I guess, that didnt work to well...lol

I charge $150 flat but have discounted with people on limited incomes and second... and third fetches. Long drives i negotiate on the phone before hand. Been tipped big several times. It's been 6 months since I've even had a call, weird.

I probably did 6 or 8 over the last 2 years...$150 per rescue plus travel charge. I charge $1.00 per mile, round trip.

If somebody is 20 miles away that is 40 miles of gas at 10 miles per gallon...4 gal of gas is $12...plus about one hour of driving time. My $40 travel charge allows $28 for my time driving.

Rescues take me an average 1.5 - 2 hours on site. I decided I want it to be worth the hassle of doing it...I have started quoting $200 plus travel, no takers yet.

Does anyone have a waiver they use and are willing to share?

$75 minimum. The last couple I've "rescued" kept on climbing above me until they were on a trunk less than 2" in diameter. I had to cut branches they were standing on in order to convince them they should come down. One of them bit me hard enough to puncture my thumb nail. The other one decided he would rather die than let me catch him and lept away from the trunk into thin air as far as he could. He ended up surviving the fall from 130+ ft because it was a lush cedar with long flexible branches that broke his fall. When I got to the ground the customer thought he wouldn't have to pay since the cat got itself out of the tree. But I don't work for free.

Not paying because the cat jumped??? They are nuts.

The last two I "saved" I didn't have to touch them **. I transferred over from a nearby tree so that I was above the cat. I had a big plastic trash can that I usually put the cat in and tie the lid on then lower it. The cats didn't like me coming down the tree, especially with that big black trash can swinging around. Whenever I got within 8-10 feet of them they would climb down several feet. They both climbed about 50 feet down the tree rather than deal with me...I like it that way.

** The first one that climbed down did so after he erupted up out of the trash can before I could get the lid on...he managed to grab the tree at about 40 feet up. As I moved down to snatch his sorry a$$ up again he scooted down the tree, too. That was where I learned to come in from above if possible. :/:

If you do have a contract...dont for get the suicide clause incase the cat does jump....lol

There should be a different fee for wild cats as opposed to domesticated ones. The wild ones can get pretty vicious. Some kindly benefactor sometimes wants them taken down too.

Burnham, yes it's been a while. I just have to give myself break now and again from forums. Everything is going just dandy, how about yourself ?

Not bad, Greg. I've finally beat a nasty flu bug and am about to give in and go back to see the orthopedic surgeon about my arthritic hip, but all in all, good thanks!

I charge $125.00 min. unless I feel very sorry for the cust. I haven't lost a cat yet. I take up a backpack, welding gloves etc. (gloves for the wild ones) I get the cat and put it in the backpack and secure the pack before I come down. Usually do 5-6 per year. I kind of enjoy it. Money is not that good but is usually still worth it.

Back