Carrying An Axe

How about lanyard tied to the butt of the handle with a small ring tied to the base of the head that could be clipped close to a hook on the saddle? Similar to a chainsaw lanyard.

Ha, it is! Indeed you did tell me that, though I got the notion that you don't currently run them, more you ran them in the past, logging?

Thanks Burnham.

Trying to envision this... May have to got look around at Jerry's or Home Depot.

I dont suppose you have a picture? :)

Here ya go...

Attachments

• tool carrier 001.jpg
    tool carrier 001.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 53
  • tool carrier 004.jpg
    tool carrier 004.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 53
  • tool carrier 005.jpg
    tool carrier 005.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 53
  • tool carrier 006.jpg
    tool carrier 006.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 53
Hell, I don't really think I'd carry an axe in that holder either direction, myself :). It was my model's choice in how to orient it, not a real working situation.

Just a set of pics to show the carrier per Gypo's request, Butch.

Frankly, while I did exactly the type of work Gypo is describing for several decades, I NEVER would have considered using an axe. Too easy to damage your flipline, your other gear, or yourself, imo. I used a shortened hardwood axe handle, or a Sandvik without the blade, or a very large and aggresive handsaw to score and then bop them off with the backside of the blade, to bump staubs.

I was just asking what was the norm. Come to think of it, I might want the blade facing forward just so it'd be in position to WACK!

Ha, it is! Indeed you did tell me that, though I got the notion that you don't currently run them, more you ran them in the past, logging?
Yes, I walked away from my tree co for a time and took to logging for another company in the peak of the recession. My company was too young to endure it. Tree work continued in the evenings and weekends. When I returned to business full time, I haven't had to buy a saw in that size class........yet. My 70-80cc saws are all healthy and in good order. I anticipate this year one or more will croak. The company I worked for picked up a few 576's and handed them out on the landing one day.

I was noticing at the thread where the BC faller instructional vid was posted, how sharp an axe the man was carrying. He very lightly sets the edge down on a stump and it sticks, that sucker is sharp! Different purpose, but no way you would want that on your belt.

Different purpose, but no way you would want that on your belt.

I hate having a dull axe. So I bent up a piece of UHMW plastic blade cover for for mine.
Doesn't get in the way of the heal, is easy to take off when needing the edge. Then I can still stuff the axe in the back of my work belt and worry about falling and getting cut. :)

I was noticing at the thread where the BC faller instructional vid was posted, how sharp an axe the man was carrying. He very lightly sets the edge down on a stump and it sticks, that sucker is sharp! Different purpose, but no way you would want that on your belt.

How do you think that fellow gets around the woods with it?

Seriously just how often would a north woods feller use the axe part ?From what most say they use the axe for a hammer pounding wedges .Clumsy as I am all I do is beat the wedges to a pulp if I tried that .

In some situations a fireman would have an axe roped up to them maybe up several stories. I wonder about pulling the axe up to you when you are in the tree and then securing it somehow so you did not need to carry it. I have found the only comfortable way to carry the axe is by hand on the down hill side, but realize you cant do that. Or i get a helper to pack it:)

Madsens sells a scabbard the completely covers the axe head.

Seriously just how often would a north woods feller use the axe part ?From what most say they use the axe for a hammer pounding wedges .Clumsy as I am all I do is beat the wedges to a pulp if I tried that .

The only time I use the blade is to secure the axe to a stump during lunch!
Actually i use the blade to trim bark to set wedges. For some reason a hammer in the woods is a major fox pox.

An aluminum scabbard, I 'spect, Justin.

I believe the method of carrying the axe is up to the individual. As is the sharpness. I'd have to re watch the vid again to see how that fellow was doing it. Min 17" and 3.5lbs is the reg for axes I believe.

I'm not a big fan of the aluminum scabbards. To bulky and akward.

I love an axe scabbard in the woods. As long as it fits the axe properly, and the handle is not so long it is knocking on my hardhat and catching on brush. I like an axe for tapping wedges, chopping away dirty bark, chopping some bark away to put wedges in thick barked trees, chopping my saw out of being pinched in a small limb, knocking away notch/girdled bark etc etc.....

I do sometimes climb with a small hatchet and plan to weld a steel ring or something to the top of the hatchet so I can just clip it into my saddle. Don't like the way it hangs on a lanyard. Nice to have it on some kind of lanyard though, so you don't drop it on the groundie.

These axe scabbards are available through Madsens or from manufacturer: http://www.grizzlypeakenterprises.com/
0117141120.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I'm cutting timber I pack an axe in my belt all the time. It goes in at an angle behind my back under my wedge belt. Pretty common proceedure.

The cutting edge is used for lotsa stuff. Chopping bark off, marking logs, cutting a hung bar tip out of a viney maple, the list is endless. A hammer is well... a hammer. An axe is a hammer and a cutting tool which makes it multipurpose. Sharpness is a personal thing. As for me, mine are sharp. Sharp tools= less work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham,

Thanks for the pics, I get it now. :beerchug:

Aye, I use the hammer side to knock dead limbs off, easy peasy.

Back