Carrying An Axe

Gypo

TreeHouser
Howdy all

Im pretty new here, and for those who haven't seen me post my name is Zane.

I do a lot of conifer climbing and use an axe a lot for chopping limbs and/or just beating off ( :) ) dead limbs with the blunt side. I have always just put an axe on a lanyard like a power saw and pulled it up to me with the lanyard when I needed it. I also often just drive it into the tree above me and then climb up to it if I need it a lot because of limby trees.

I'm wondering if there's a better way?

I've been thinking of putting a big ring on my saddle that I could slip the handle down through, to let an axe hang on my harness, with the head up.

I've cut timber a number of years and have always carried an axe, usually behind my back through my belt. So a ring could put an axe in a place Im used to carrying it.

I guess I'm looking for the quickest way to get an axe out and put it away. Typically it's get the axe out, chop (or beat) a couple limbs off, put the axe away, climb up 3 or 4 feet, and repeat...

I've seen rings welded to axe heads that might work. Also thought about an aluminum scabbard like I've used cutting, or even just a bag to put an axe in with the head down...

Hope this all makes sense??? Sometimes I ramble...

How about a hammer loop? The metal kind. If you can't find one big enough for an axe handle fab one up.

On the hammer holder front, I have an old carrier that has a pair of spring loaded fingers on the outer face of a steel "loop", the whole thing mounted on a wide leather square with belt slots in it. It's super easy to stash the hammer (or axe) by just slapping the handle just under the head through the fingers which swing into the loop. To deploy it, just lift it out like a regular ring or loop.

I think this might serve you well, if you can find one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Burnham.

Trying to envision this... May have to got look around at Jerry's or Home Depot.

I dont suppose you have a picture? :)

Axe is pretty standard on the west coast I you're rigging spars. Easier to carry an axe all the way if you've only got some dead limbs to bump and then get a saw up when you need it.

Aye. Axe is lighter and faster depending on size of limbs.

When rigging spars for logging a lot of times we only have to go 50 feet or so, with less than a couple dozen limbs, most of which will be dead and under two inches. Often times one lick from an axe will take em off...

Ah. The power axe approach :occasion5:

Often these trees are 1000 feet or more from the road. We already have blocks, guylines, climbing gear, and other stuff to pack around down there. An axe and a power saw, usually a 372, among them. The 372 is used to fall trees, notch stumps for skyline tailholds etc.

Point being... I have enough junk to pack :)

Yah good point. Axe does many functions too. I'd like to see how a 150 does pounding wedges. Lol.

Isn't that a good secondary use for a Stihl saw?

First being a boat anchor.

Kidding aside though they're good saws, lotsa friends run em. I just got started with Huskies, and never had a reason to switch. Though I'm not fond of the newer 372 X torq...

I see all kinds of different type tool holders being sold at big homeowner center type stores here. I dunno about the states, but if one doesn't exactly fit your needs, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to modify something up.

Lanyard has always seemed ideal in that scenario. It's long enough you don't have to Un clip for most knots. Though a ring spliced into the rope near the handle would allow you to hang it short if need be.

We used to just stick the handle between the belt and body when climbing to rig trees. Now thinking back on it, that was not that safe for anyone on the ground. Wasn't to comfortable, but when only climbing for a short distance it worked fine. I think if I was to do it again I would use a lanyard.

I just got started with Huskies, and never had a reason to switch. Though I'm not fond of the newer 372 X torq...

Same here. There is a 372 thread in the chainsaw forum, about how the 576 beats the pants off of new 372s.

Agreed, Reddog. But the extra weight is unnoticeable and the extra 2cc's makes it cut a lot like the original, legendary 372s.

Geez, I wish someone would jump on my 576 bandwagon:whine:

Back